Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Advise please......cause I've screwed up (read this!!!!)

Topped up my oil this morning and then shot off to work. Half way to work I smell burning oil so I stop and pause for a moment.....oh s**t, whilst rushing this morning I forgot to put the oil cap back on :(. Opens the bonnet.......oil everywhere, luckily the oil cap is still sitting on top of the engine so was able to get to work.

Now my question is, there is alot of oil covering the area around the cambelt cover. Should I replace the cambelt as it could be contaminated with oil? The belt doesn't need changing, it was changed last year but don't want to take any chances.

Appreciate help (whilst feeling like an idiot).

Thanks for the quick reply.

Wash it off the cambelt or just wash it off the engine and the cambelt should be ok???

After this mornings incident my journey home proved more of a head ache....................my top hose decided it would split. Called the AA out and they made a temporary fix so I got home 30 mins later, not bad service from the AA.

At least the hot coolant went someway to washing down the engine after my oil spillage.

Anyone know how much the top and bottom hoses are and also how much G12+ coolant is? Do I need to buy these from the steelers?

Also is there a thread on here somewhere for changing the coolant without creating air locks?

Thanks......again.

When I've done a fluid change, I've left the cap off the breather tank and topped it up accordindly whilst engine was running. (Wild man huh?) The hoses will cost you an arm and a leg from the stealer - try GSF.

The oil cooler/water flange hose was 48 quid + vat from VW, 5.50 from GSF... nuff said

HTH

randal

Cheers randal

Anyone else care to comment..............I need to get it sorted tomorrow.

If one of the hoses has gone some of the others may be on the way out soon as well so I would recommend replacing the whole lot with Samco hoses. The price of a full set of Samco hoses is the same a VW would charge for two individual hoses.

Cost effective and looks pretty cool, not to mention very durable :D

Isn't the top hose the one that is the same as on the Ford Galaxy for a fraction of the VW Stealer price?

Isn't the top hose the one that is the same as on the Ford Galaxy for a fraction of the VW Stealer price?

think its only the VR6's that have hose interchangabilty(new word :lol: ) between Corrado and Galaxy :wink: