Mawrick

Picture of spare wheel setup (including carpet) in the Corrado VR6?

My Corrado VR6 came with a original Speedline spare tire - but does this actually fit in the spare tire bay ? - I mean is the carpets molded to accept it or was it ment to have the "normal" slim spare tires?.

Any pics would be appreciated - as mine never came with the original carpet in the rear - only a cut out metal plate with carpet glued to it.

I'v fitted a "slim" tyre to it for time being (due to longer trip to Germany - so want a "flat" rear compartment - not sure if that's how it was originally ment to be though :)

Pretty sure all late cars came with space savers, although there were probably a few crossover models that came with a full sized spare, and the humped carpet. Yours being a 95 model (assuming your sig), it should have a space saver and flat carpet.

hmmmm, weired as it did come with a full speedline tire - I know the car was used at the VW factory area from new (VW had it on some sort of VW plates they can use in the wolfsburg area) - so maybe that's the reason it got full spare tyre.......I think it is produced very late 94 though - but it is one of the later ones as it have airbag etc....

My storm 95 model came with a space saver but has humped carpet so a full size can fit

the space saver had carpet with a slight hump from new (the carpet in the boot is not flat).... my other car a 16valve had a alloy as standard and the hump in the carpet is deeper.

95 storm with space saver and hump.e2ytageq.jpg

Thats the shallow hump for space saver.. The full size has a bigger hump...

Mawrick,

you mentioned that your car has an airbag. I was not aware of any Corrados fitted with that. Was this an option even in US?

RB

Yea - my C have double airbag, don't think it was an option in the US - My Corrado originated from Germany in it's time though (was actually a VW "factory" car in the beginning - so never sold new lol :) ) - it was on some special VW "plates" VW are allowed to use within Wolfsburg if I'v understood correct before it went to Sweden.

Pics of the airbags:

corrado_inside.jpg

Interesting. Was debating the other day whether the Corrado actually ever came with an airbag - I'd the Corrado in the Karmann museum which is basically still 'as new' and comes fitted with lots of options. It also has airbags but I sort of assumed they were 'dummies' and never actually really fitted. Guess not! It's strange that VW / Karmann went to the trouble of actually developing an airbag solution for the Corrado only to almost immediately end production of it.

Etka lists the airbag wheel for the last year of production Jim, August 94 to July 95, strange it came several years after the door impact bars, perhaps it was US or EU rules changing for 1994?