Ninjasean2005

Brake Upgrade

Hi everyone I am thinking of up grading my front brake calipers on my 1991 G60. Are Girling 60's a suitable upgrade? As I have a set sitting in my garage, What are the pro's and con's of fitting them?

Thanks

Personally I would not bother upgrading to multi-pistons on a sliding caliper design. I'd go to 4 piston fixed caliper, but not a 2 piston sliding caliper.

Cons

1/ You may need to change to a different brake master cylinder as the Girling 60 calipers have 2 pistons so they require a greater volume of brake fluid.

2/ If the calipers are not brand new then you risk uneven braking as with 2 pistons each side instead of the usual 1 there is "more to go wrong".

3/ You may cause the brake bias to move too far forward and you will then need to adjust the rear brake proportioning valve.

Pros

1/ 2 smaller pistons will give increased effective disc diameter and you can use larger pads.

2/ Even pad wear as the pad is better supported over its entire length resulting in more even pressure.

Edited by DriverVR6

Mine is non ABS, does that mean my master cylinder isn't big enough to power the girling 60's?? :( I know they are fairly meaty, but the stopping power I think they could be worth the gamble.

I'm sure the non abs m/c can be changed to a bigger bore,which will help with multi piston calipers !

Google should help

Thanks for all of you help and advice guys, but I have decided to stick to original with the exception of braided brake lines and all new pipe with refurbed brake calipers

I ran the 22mm MC with Brembo 4 pots from a, cough!, renault. The renault runs a 22mm as standard so they worked well.

If you need a slightly larger MC, you could go for a 23mm from a seat or a ford, they only need a small spacer to fit and are commonly sold on ebay.