Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

rear brake calipers

just spent the last 3 hours or so undoing 2 seized rear caliper carrier bolts,why the fcuk did vw use allen head bolts instead of normal bolts ill never know...so any tips on getting the 2 bolts off the other side undone??wouldnt be so bad but the new discs ive got are no bloody good :mad: :mad:

Plenty of WD40/DuckOil and a small cooking blow torch are the only ways I've found of freeing the sodding things off when they don't want to play.... :?

Good luck! 8)

Another way of getting a seized bolt off is to give it a good sideways shock with a hammer and chisel which breaks the seal made by the rust/corrosion between the bolt and piece of metal it's screwed in to.

I had exactly the same prob a couple of weeks ago and was saying exactly the same thing about those s*dding allen key bolts. The way I got them off was using a centre punch on the side of the bolt head to start it off, need to give it a good whack with a club hammer though (not goos when your fingers are a couple of inches away :x . After that use an allen key socket if the hex isn't too badly rounded otherwise mole grips will do.

finally got them out,heat didnt worg,had to use a socket and a big hammer to smack it over the top of the head then use brute force to get them undone...problem is now though,my local stealers havent any bolts in stock :? :shock: :mad:

When I did these on a Golf someone had already tried and rounded the bolts off. Good old dremmel came to the rescue, cut a slot through the head then used a flat screwdriver attachment (chizel size) for a socket set to undo it. Think I had to butcher the rubber bit though for access so needed new ones. Refitted the new ones and covered the heads with wax oil.

ill deffinetly be putting some copper grease on them now..and now to top things off my calipers are fcuked,so i need some new ones...so thats deva dubs show off the list for me now :mad: