easypops

Subframe stripping questions

Good evening all,

I decided to strip down the spare subframe I have had for a wee while.

Couple of questions

1.The steering rack came off easily enough but the bolts are still in place and don't seem that easy to remove? Do I leave them in or whack them out with a hammer?

2. The big bolts for the wishbones are very tight and I'm fairly sure I've read a couple of sheared captive nut stories, so should I use brute force or an impact gun? Also the bolt seems a weird size 11/16's?

I will have other questions about bushes etc later :)

Steering rack bolts

b9c90d35a1a1148b6098abfba3f40dce.jpg

Wishbone bolts

d99b6c47f540f257b0349e1c84cb9f1b.jpg

The steering rack bolts have a spline bit on the shank, just tap them with a hammer and they will come out. Put a nut on the end if you are planning on re-using them. I bought new though.

One of them front bolts is likely to snap! If you can, try and get to the captive nut and soak in wd40 for a while. If they do snap you will have to drill them out carefully until you can get the arm off then drill the centre of the bolt with a pilot drill getting bigger until it comes out. Re-tap with an m12x1.5 tap (fine thread)

Thanks mate, I'll get out there and try and soak the captive nuts, probably gonna get new bolts for everything under there.......don't suppose you have part numbers? :)

If you go on ETKA all the part numbers are on there. I have all the part numbers and prices on an excel sheet but not the description that tells you where they go!

I'll see what I can get you.

Front bolts are M12x1.5 x 82lg, part number N90484003 - TPS price £2.12 each inc VAT

Steering rack bolts are M8 x 75, part number N90184501 - TPS price £1.44 each inc VAT

Locking Nuts for above M8, part number N90226403 - TPS price £0.56 each inc VAT

If you need anymore, let me know, I replaced everything!!

Edited by ChrisL

Nice one mate, don't put yourself out though as I have etka on my(never used anymore)PC :)

Ok, so,I've soaked these bolts for a good while and they just won't budge, seems they are an 18mm head? Looks like I need a decent breaker bar or an 18mm impact socket, which isn't in my halfords pro set

Any suggestions welcome, but I don't like spinach :lol:

I think it's pretty inevitable that ones going to snap, they just do! Can you leave it in

soak for a few days before trying a breaker bar?

Also, just ordered the expansion set for my irwin bolt grippers, I have the feeling I'll be needing them :)

Yes mate, gonna soak them for the next few days, maybe the whole week :)

I have the extra irwins and a breaker bar.. You busy Monday?

I am I'm afraid mate, I've got the wee man all day, and he's at that age that you just don't get a minute to do anything. I'm in no real rush anyway, and I'm away all next weekend. I might give you a wee shout after then as it may well still be the way it is now, would also give you an excuse to bring that picture down :)

Sometimes trying to tighten them before undoing can help if they are rusted in.

Good idea Jim, wouldn't have even thought of doing that, thanks :)

Sometimes trying to tighten them before undoing can help if they are rusted in.

Top Tip!! Martin you obviously don't work in Engineering/Automotive industries hope you get it without breakage

Top Tip!! Martin you obviously don't work in Engineering/Automotive industries hope you get it without breakage

You are correct mate,I don't, but i'm happy to have a go at anything, it's the only way to learn, plus, what's the worst that can happen? I break something (very likely) :lol:

But i really really hope these bolts come out cleanly :)

You are correct mate,I don't, but i'm happy to have a go at anything, it's the only way to learn, plus, what's the worst that can happen? I break something (very likely) :lol:

But i really really hope these bolts come out cleanly :)

I hope they do for you too mate :thumbleft: Best advice I can offer is what has been said before and just take your time there is no rush mate "patience" is what's needed. If you soak them for long enough and take your time you should be cool bud :)

Cheers James, that is the plan, a liberal soaking in WD40 for the next week or so, then they will just fall out :lol:

Cheers James, that is the plan, a liberal soaking in WD40 for the next week or so, then they will just fall out :lol:

You should know better by now Martin the bit's you want to fall out "DON'T" and the bit's you don't want to fall out "DO" it's a Corrado mate.

Full set of Irwins here as well if you need them. As for soaking with WD40 I usually spray loads od the stuff on the wrap/pack old dish towels around the bolts, soah that with the 40 and covre it with polythene or carrier bags. Stops the 40 from evaporating as quickly and gives it more time to penetrate

You can try heating the bolt up with a blow torch too, try to get to really hot as the differential thermal expansion of the metal is often enough to break the rust seal. Wait until the bolt has cooled before trying to undo it otherwise the risk of snapping will be increased.

Also when I did mine the bolt was rusted to the metal lining of the control arm bush rather than the captive nut. I ended up cutting off the control arm and bush.

Full set of Irwins here as well if you need them. As for soaking with WD40 I usually spray loads od the stuff on the wrap/pack old dish towels around the bolts, soah that with the 40 and covre it with polythene or carrier bags. Stops the 40 from evaporating as quickly and gives it more time to penetrate

Full set of Irwins here as well if you need them. As for soaking with WD40 I usually spray loads of the stuff on the bolts, wrap/pack old strips of dish towel around the bolts, soak that with the WD40 as well and cover it with polythene or carrier bags. That stops the WD40 from evaporating as quickly and gives it more time to penetrate.

Must stop posting while ****ed

Try giving the bolt a good whack face on with a big hammer , the shocks usually slightly free bolts up

They are a true pig though i snapped mine half way down the shaft and had to drill it out while the subframe was still on the car

It was a complete pig as the gearbox doesent allow you to get a drill in there straight

Also i ised a 18mm impact socket on a bbreacker bar and then a steel tube on the breaker bar for more leverege but sadly when i thought the bolt was coming free it was actually just twisting until it pinged of lol

Just back from Halfords, got a breaker bar but they didn't have an 18mm impact socket or even a normal 18mm 6sided socket? Just the star type and I have one of them but it's already started to spin on the nut.......already had a blast with the hammer lol, that is one tool I can use :lol: