Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

mkV R32 out

No where near as meaty as the MK4 !

It's such a shame Dahlback Racing was the only company (that I'm aware of) that used the VW Motorsport MK4 kit-car arches. That made the MK4 imo.

I do like the MK5 though, I think it's got potential.

Hmmm.......

Let's see what kind of reviews it gets.

Still not convinced that I like it, but I said that about the Mk3 and the Mk4!!

I'm sure once they get some aftermarket bits stuck on, it'll smarten it up.

Apparently VW have registered the R36 name as they are developing a 3.6 V6 for this car. I dont think it will look like that as that just seems to be photoshopped GTi press photos

The Golf's not been a real "HOT hatch" since the MKII... (and that was only saved by the 16V and G60 versions...) It's still trading on the GTI name which was made by the MKI (and then MKI)I version 25 years ago! :?

Too lardy, too soft and too rounded... :pukeright:

Just another anonymous eurobox like nearly every other car in it's class on sale today... You see a MKI or MKII Golf in a carpark and it stands out as a Golf, you see one of these, and either ignore it 'cos it's the same as all the other new cars in the carpark, or have to have a look at it to work out what it is... :? :roll:

I'd still lay odds on an original MKI Golf GTI 1800 being a closer BHP/Tonne ratio than most would believe to new 255BHP R32... LOTS of power? Yeah, but by God, it's a fat git! ;) :lol:

Wonder if Topgear'd take a MKI up against the new R32 around their track... THAT I'd want to watch... I'd bet there wouldn't be a lot in it... ;) :)

They already did a comparison on paper - when they reviewed the R32 they commented that it was twice the power, twice the weight, nearly twice the capacity (ccs) and probably twice the price...

Bhp/tonne is about the same as the Mk1 GTi, yep, but of course 245bhp and 4x4 means the R32 is much quicker in the real world...

I can't wait to come across one that wants to play with my G60... :D :lol: ;) Or my MKI when that's done for that matter! ;)

i had a go with the new TT 3.2 version one night, me and my freind in mine and only the driver in the TT, i pulled away about a cars length in first gear than once i could get some traction in 2nd i pulled away further in every gear. My mate in the car has a TT 225 and hew new the story but hell i didnt expect the 3.2 to be that slow. Although it was a convertible meaning slighly heavier, but than again my G60 isnt exactly standart, iv lost track of how much power i have now :lol: Forced Induction all the way baby we aint playing around here :-P

I thought convertible = lighter, as it doesn't have as much glass nor a huge metal roof? :)

But the penalty for chopping the roof out (which doesn't weigh much if it's got no sunroof) is a 30-40% reduction in the shell's torsional rigidity. So you have to brace the floor and bulkhead with beefier metal, which adds weight.....then of course you have the weight of the folding mechanisms, thicker windscreen, beefier A pillars etc etc.....all adds up!

yup, as Kev says, Convertable = fat get compared with tin top... ;) :lol:

you'd think....

but surprisingly, the Dodge Viper GTS (hardtop) is HEAVIER than the RT10 (ragtop)

reason being it was designed as ragtop first, but still a point of fact

AS for the new R32, well it looks a complete photochop, and even the original R32 changed about 3 times before it came out from press pics i seen. i like the MK5 in general, loads of potential, but, it could do with wider arches and a more aggressive bumper, tho it is a chop of the GTI i tihnk.