Sign in to follow this  
g-master

Heater/fan

Seems to have a mind of it's own you turn it on it's ok for about 20mins then nothing :x totally dead. Then about 20-30 mins later it comes back on then off again and so on really annoying :( Thinking must be a short some where maybe :? any ideas :?:

I reckon it's new fan time... :?

Quick check though, take off the lower dash shelf on the passenger side (about 6 screws) and then you can see the fan behind where the shelf was... undo the multiplug and check for voltage between the brown (earth) and other wires... the voltage should move around the other 4 pins as you move the switch's position with the ignition on...

If you have voltage there and it moves pins with the switch, it's new fan time... if it doesn't move with the switch, it's new switch time... 8)

I found just after i had bought my C that the fan kept cutting out like it had a mind of its own. It was the fan motor which was duff as when i took it out and moved it arround the fan would start up for a couple of seconds and then die again. Worn brushes or a worn out motor, Money was short at that time after just buying the car so i went down to a scrappy and found a mk2 golf and had the motor out of there. All i had to do was change over the small board from one to another to allow for the different connectors of the mk2 golf and the corrado. Oh also a went to maplins and bought a couple of thermal resistors and put new one in. When this one dies a will probably buy a VAG one, but it has worked now for over a year and only cost me a tenner.

Cheers

Woody

yup, exactly the same as I did Woody... 8) I've now got a BRAND new one in and it's lovely and quiet now... 8) :D

And here's another possibility...... the plastic around the socket on the fan housing has melted onto one of the pins, causing intermittant shutting down and restarts. That's what happened to on mine.

K

And here's another possibility...... the plastic around the socket on the fan housing has melted onto one of the pins, causing intermittant shutting down and restarts. That's what happened to on mine.

Woah! not heard that one before... :? sounds like fun... :| I thought that's what the Thermal fuse was there to prevent? one to add to my list of odd fan problems then... 8)

The thermal fuse doesn't always go tho, when I got my car it was only working on 4 and the restistor had almost melted but the fuse was still intact! - May have been bodged in the past of course :?

I had the problem of the fan only working on position 4, solution took 5 minutes, so worth a look. Also worked on my mates VR Golf.

Remove plastic trim from heater contol panel, and the plastic knob from fan speed control. You will see a small metal tang (indicated on photo with screwdriver). Using some needle nose pliers, twist this very slightly, the top of the contact needs to move forwards, and the bottom of it move back (obvious when you can see the shape of it).

The control panel does NOT need to be removed from car, the one in the photo is a spare I have lying around!

My fan only works on 4 but unfortunatley the thermal fuse fix isn't quite as straight forward on a car with air-con. The fan is pretty different to a standard C fan, I've dropped out the fan assembly and can't find anything that looks like a resistor pack. There are some wires going into the very top of the fan mounting but even with the glovebox out they are impossible to get to. If I ever want to fix mine I think it'd be a dash out job :cry: