Sign in to follow this  
bigbluec

Power to the ignition but wont start!

Hi guys couldn't find anything that seemed to relate to this in other topics so here goes!

Occasionaly and randomly my C wont start the only consistent thing is that its always after i've driven it for a while i.e not when its the first start of the day.

when i turn the key power is there and i can hear the fuel pump pressurise but then nothing happens when i continue to turn the key! :cry:

Its not the starter motor as it used to do it occasionally on the old one.

could it be:

-Coil?

-Relay?

-ignition unit?

-Or most likely something else!!

Any help would be appreciated as its embarrasing bump starting it!

I had a same problem 2 month since.. turned out to be the live wire to the alternator from the battery, it had corroded at the alternator and was not giving me the extra power to start..

worth a look!

For the £25 and 3/4 of an hour it'll take you... change the ignition switch... 8) Instructions HERE 8)

It's also worth checking the -ve battery clamp and the main earth strap (they're one piece ;) ) The strap runs down the back of the battery, onto the chassis via a clamp, and then onto the front top gearbox to engine bolt... If this looks green or has a white fluff on it, it's in need of replacement 'cos the copper has oxidised and is causing a high resistance on your electrical circuits which will be exaggerated when the engine is warm... :|

Dont think its the earth lead or the positive as i've cleaned them recently so guess i'll try the ignition switch and keep you posted!

Cheers Guys

No it's a 1.8 Valver. is there a relay that also affects the pawer supply from the ignition to the starter motor?

nope, that's a straight wire from the switch to the solenoid actuator on the starter motor. The only thing that could be in that wire is an immobiliser you have had fitted to the car.

Suppose it could also be a dodgy starter motor, but you've already said that you've replaced that, so it's much more unlikely... :?

Goit a G60 with doddgy VAG (scorpion) alarm/imobiliser. Does the same thing. It looks like the imobiliser just inhibits the starter 'cos the car will bump start no problem. I have bypassed the imobiliser part but still use the alarm to lock/unlock. As yet the problem has not surfaced again.

go for the ignition switch mate.

I had the same symptoms, the stealer put it down to the immobiliser but surprise surprise a new ignition switch fixed it

my poor c didn't run for nearly 3 months last year, started out to be intermitent starting then died as i got home. i had 6 people out to look at it, had the new alarm ripped out, before towing it to a local electrical guy, he fixed it in a day, ignition switch burnt out, £110, but then £600 to get a new alarm fitted. :mad: :cry: :cry: but i'm gald i did, remote start window venting boot release blar blar 8)

My car has the same problem.

I just had the ignition switch replaced last week on my VR to cure a starting problem:

Basically, the car would start fine on most occasions but after a long drive when everything heats up, you turn the key to the start position and nothing happens. The lights on the dash come on but the starter won't turn.

It happened again yesterday so I had to bump start the car which I hate doing as I've heard that it isn't a good idea with the VR engine.

I'll need to check the wiring and I suppose the ignition relay. Any other suggestions before I go for the starter motor next?

Where would I find the ignition relay switch? If the starter is not turning, could this still be the culprit?

Thanks.

It will be the starter solenoid sticking because of heat, especially in this weather... stick a breaker bar on the boot and next time it happens try hitting the starter motor with it :wink:

It will be the starter solenoid sticking because of heat, especially in this weather... stick a breaker bar on the boot and next time it happens try hitting the starter motor with it :wink:

Thanks Supercharged.

Can the solenoid be replaced seperately or am I looking at a new starter motor?

I have a G60 which is intermittently playing up when starting and it does it from cold as well as hot.

I turn the key the engine turns over then stops I keep the key at on position then it starts, sometimes the delay is a few seconds sometimes longer. Yesterday though it was completely dead, though all the ignition lights are on, when I turned the key I tried several times and, fortunately, it fired up eventually. I drove home switched it off the tried again and it started 5 times in a row without a problem! Any ideas??

Thanks

G60- gin, sounds VERY much like a new ignition switch is needed.... :|

G60- gin, I had a very very very similar problem with my 1800 so i replaced switch and sitll no joy - worked fine for a bit then randomly just doesnt. by random i mean sometimes it will b first start of the day (so cold) or after ive stopped at petrol station (so hot) I since wired in a a push button starter (after i fried a 3rd ignition switch from "experimenting") this seemed to cure the problem... except the last 2 weeks or so its returned...

No more bump starting or beating the starter tho - the starter always turns over fine... i know this cos... i have a 2-3foot length of electrical cable that after i have turned ignition key for fuel pump i put one end on spade on starter then splash the other end on the battery... easier than bumping not always possible when in a space or facing up hill - but not ideal! by doing this am i bypassin the solenoid?

what other parts could it be? wiring from starter to ignition? wiring on the starter?

by doing this am i bypassin the solenoid?

what other parts could it be? wiring from starter to ignition? wiring on the starter?

Nope, you are actually touching the wire onto the solenoid terminal to fire the startermotor...

Sounds like either the live wire has become damaged from the switch to the starter (or an immobiliser has gone mad which is attached to that wire) or your switch has died... :|

one of my thoughts was that it mite be a damaged wire... mayb pinched and worn somewhere... there is a half dead alram immobiliser thing lurking in engine bay tho :| and i kno my switch has died... hence the push button starter spliced into ignition loom (checked and rewired twice!) :| but also wen i push button when it doesnt turn over - the dash lights dim!

dodgy wire from the starter switch to the solenoid or possibly the earth strap from the battery to the chassis and then onto the gearbox in that case... 8)

Hey guys,

Im not an auto mechanic, just a plumber really, all plumber jokes should now apply. Like payday is on Friday.. crap rolls down hill.. dont chew your finger nails :D ect.

However, the first symptom of what was an end result of a ignition switch replacement was, turn the key and nothing at all. Turn the key and a buzzing noise from the dash, very hard to hear from where it was coming from. In the beginning, it would eventually start after 6 times or so, then after it was sitting in the sun all day long it wouldnt start at all.

Finally, i replaced the igntition swich and all has been good since. Just wanted to give a few symtoms, for me, of a bad ignition swich. Been 4 months now and ive had no problems.

I had similar prob wiv turning but not starting and was the ignition switch.

However, ever since ive had the car it has intermittently not turned the starter.As I say, ive recently replaced the switch, so I know (well im 99.9% sure) that its not that. Over the past few days it has gotton so bad, that whenever i try to start the car, the starter wont turn. It does all the other usual starter things (fuel pump, ISV etc.) but as soon as starter position selected, nowt happens. I keep trying and eventually, she will start. (altho it took nearly an Hour last nite, and only started as the AA said "we'll be there in......" "oop hang on its started.....")

I have checked the strap that Henny refers to, but no joy. It does look a little bit green in places, but its not much. The other theory is the Immobilisor. The alarm on my car is that standard Scorpion job, but its always been a tad strange (not always going off when doors are opened, ultrasonics dont work, remote central locking dont work... :roll: ). I guess i need to get an Auto-sparky to have a look?