j_s14a

Sunroof motor brushes

I've just installed an Ibiza Moonroof in my Corrado, in the hope of solving the sunroof sliding issue, but it continues to do exactly the same thing. I had already tried the motor from my donor car, and it did exactly the same thing.

So, I decided to start stripping the sunroof motor down to see if I could see any issues, and I think I've found the issue. I don't know a lot about electric motors, but I'm sure the brushes aren't supposed to be like this.

The brushes on one end look like this.

DSC_1976_zpsxuromm9h.jpg

DSC_1979_zpsjagl19gn.jpg

I assume they look healthy.

This is what the other end looks like:

DSC_1977_zpsz3daykhp.jpg

DSC_1978_zpsrfbczrxh.jpg

That doesn't look right. The brushes all look the same, so I think I can use my spare motor to make one good one.

I'm guessing these worn brushes are causing the motor to keep cutting out when the sunroof is sliding?

Today, I stripped down the sunroof motor from my donor car, and this is what I found...

One end looks fine

DSC_1980_zpsd0pmulvv.jpg

And the other end...

DSC_1981_zpstqmzwksa.jpg

One brush completely worn away, just like the first one.

And this is the brushes, removed from their mount

DSC_1982_zpsasdrb98d.jpg

I find it highly unlikely that these are two isolated incidents, and wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the main reasons why these cars suffer so many sunroof issues. I couldn't find my soldering iron tonight, but it shouldn't take long to make one good motor from the two.

I'll update this when I have made a good one, but it's worth checking this before pulling the sunroof mechanism out of the car, as it only takes 5 minutes to remove the motor.

I would suggest the brushes are burning out due the motor struggling to over come the resistance of the mechanism. I've stripped many of these down over the years and they are all ridiculously stiff and is why the water plate guide snaps on them. Add to that the pressure of wind resistance at 100mph if you close it, the motor leads a very hard life. Another Rockwell International piece of crap.

The motor doesn't appear to have a particularly effective thermal fuse like the windows do.

The only thing that seemed to solve the roof issue permanently for me was to strip it right down, replace both water plate guides and cable assmeblies and make sure it was liberally greased up with a sliding mechanism specific silicon grease. Don't use normal grease or white grease. These just seem to attract grit and accelerate wear.

I get what you're saying about the mechanism, but like i've said, i've tried the motor on both a Corrado and Seat Ibiza sunroof mechanisms, and they behave in exactly the same way. Why I fitted the manual winder that came from the Ibiza, the sunroof retacted smotthly. There was a little more resistance as the sunroof opened fully, but hardly noticeable.

Plus, i've inspected two different Corrado sunroof motors from two different cars, and the brushes are in exactly the same state.

Perhaps it is a combination of added resistance in the mechanism and poor brushes?

Just over worked motors imo. As I say, what ever overload mechanism is employed to protect the motor is pretty crap because the cast metal parts snap before the motor stops! The central locking syncing sets the basic stop / start timing, but it's supposed to shut the motor off when the load gets too high. Well, it does, but a little late imo. The same thing happens to the spoiler motor and some folk have seen smoke coming from theirs!

Anyway, not trying to knock your work. Well done for finding yet another cause for why these rubbish roofs stop working!

I noticed the other day, when taking out the sunroof motor for the ten-thousandth time, that on a sunny summer's day they get very hot indeed, quite literally too hot to handle. Maybe that too contributes to their premature failure. I might try to squeeze in some sort of heat shield between the roof and the motor.

The Bosch motor in the Passat B4 sunroof I am about to install seems to be a lighter construction compared to the Rockwell item; I hope it is more reliable. Based on 20 years of Passat ownership, with total sunroof reliability, I am looking forward to an improved experience once the transplant has been done.

RB

Anyone know where you would source bushes for the motor as the ones described? And as a back up - what other motors are direct replacements for our ones - that were perhaps better made though? Can have a little dig around to see if I can pick one up

Thanks

I noticed the other day, when taking out the sunroof motor for the ten-thousandth time, that on a sunny summer's day they get very hot indeed, quite literally too hot to handle. Maybe that too contributes to their premature failure. I might try to squeeze in some sort of heat shield between the roof and the motor.

The Bosch motor in the Passat B4 sunroof I am about to install seems to be a lighter construction compared to the Rockwell item; I hope it is more reliable. Based on 20 years of Passat ownership, with total sunroof reliability, I am looking forward to an improved experience once the transplant has been done.

RB

Hi Roger.... Not sure if you're on here still? Was the passat motor a direct swap for the original? As it it still working fine.... Thanks