Thursdave

Heater Matrix - where to get?

Get some foam type material aswell for the heater box flaps and joins mine where none existant when i did mine

Thanks for the advice Jon_vr6!

any other related tips or tricks are welcomed :)

No not yet though the forecast looks reasonable this weekend - might brave it... :|

No not yet though the forecast looks reasonable this weekend - might brave it... :|

Yeah im hoping the weather picks up too. Are you going to have to do it outside or have you a garage or workshop?

My house has a garage but it's not really wide enough to open the doors to work on the car, or deep enough to store parts that I extract like the dash - but I can roll the car out a bit and work on it that way and therefore roll it back undercover if needed if it rains :) Just finding it hard to get excited about tackling it, that's all because of the amount of work involved.

Thats handy you have a garage, even if only to escape the rain.

I was wondering, if i put the rear seats down & then take the front seats out, would i have enough room to do it all on a drive. however my gf's mom has said i can use her double garage if i would like to - think that would be more sensible.

i know what you mean about finding the motivation to take it all apart - however, i have found lately that it often takes less time to do the actual job than what i spend deliberating about it lol

True I guess - get stuck in and it's not that bad. Plus the time flies along really. Found that doing my alternator for the second or third time! Still want to tackle it again too but it's getting a bit boring now ;)

Well, perhaps if we do both attack it this weekend we can compare notes on the forum!

Thats the spirit Jim! Plus there is the side that with each job we tackle the better we know our own cars & the number of jobs we have to send them to the mechanics for reduces ;)

i may be mostly moving from my parents back to my apartment this weekend as they return in a couple of weeks

note sharing would be fun m8, however, i have a feeling we might mostly be discussing how bloody awkward the glove box was to get out lol

fingers crossed that is our most challenging part of the process!

Had the glovebox out before - it's not too bad. Just a bit of a wrestling match :)

Well, I think I'm going to be tackling this tomorrow. Got all the stuff now. Went to poke around my other lockup this evening and found a spare hot/cold brand new old stock bowden cable and a set of the Passat heater controls, so will be a good opportunity to try and get my heater controls all sorted after years of being stiff and horrible.

Bought a roll of this kind of thin reflective matting from B&Q and some copydex to glue it with (this is how we repaired the missing foam on the flaps on 2cc's Corrado a couple of years ago and it's still working just fine) so that should take care of any disintegrated foam on the air diverter flaps in the heater box. Bought a load of zip ties too so I can tidy stuff up if needed as going along.

I've re-read the (brief) wiki article on doing the swap without taking the dash out, and given davidwort said he did it with the dash in too on his car, I'm going to at least try that route. But if there's any sign of violence / brute force needed to extract the dash, I'll just go back to doing it the long way round.

The joy of Corrado ownership :)

Looks about right! I had my feet resting on the rear headrest (front seat all the way down and back) to undo some of the bits!

Looks about right! I had my feet resting on the rear headrest (front seat all the way down and back) to undo some of the bits!

Wouldnt it have been easier to take the passenger seat out :bonk:

As I say - if it ends up being impossible, I will just carry on and take the dash out. But it has to be worth a try to save myself some hours!

We didnt completely remove the dash , just disconected everything and pulled it back as far as we could get it .

It's really not that bad leaving the dash in, I think I might have pinged a couple of the clips off the part of the ducting from the fan section towards the main distribution unit so I could take it out in two sections, worst thing was changing a bowden cable with the unit in place

I'm terrible at getting into the job and forgetting to take pictures but I'll try!

Well, I'm under way but hitting a few bumps so far. There's a few interior screws that simply refuse to budge and are at risk of getting the heads chewed if I try much more. I've given them a blast with 3-in-1 penetrant spray and stopped for some breakfast.

One is in the air vent on the passenger side of the dash and the other two are the screws holding the centre console in, in the big binnacle at the bottom / centre of the dash (where the cool Corrado auxiliary gauges can be fitted) - they will not shift for toffee - how the hell is that possible on frigging interior screws! :(

I used a cross head socket on a ratchet to get the air vent one out.

As for the bottom ones maybe attack them from the back of it

Got them out eventually. More problematically both the bolts in the engine bay that hold the heater box in place are just spinning the whole thread and not undoing :( what a ****ing nightmare.

Got them out eventually. More problematically both the bolts in the engine bay that hold the heater box in place are just spinning the whole thread and not undoing :( what a ****ing nightmare.

Not good the one behind expansion tank come out ok?

No issues getting the two out in the scuttle tray. Just the two that hold the heater box in are not gonna come out. Not sure what to do tbh.