Jim Bowen

Evans Waterless Coolant

Think we might of discussed it on here before, but is anyone using it yet?

Am having a new engine soon and thought while car is apart it will be a good time to drain everything and try out the waterless coolant (i won't need to buy the flush treatment first)

Can't see any negative sides to it, apart from more expensive. Corrado seems an ideal car for it.

I have always wondered about this as the G60 lump tends to run hot, but I have never found anyone who has used it. It is expensive and I know you have to purge your coolant system first which can be time consuming, but you won't have that problem as you are having a new engine. I will be watching this thread to see what people come back with

Apparently it won't make the engine run cooler, but the coolant is better if you reach high temps, you also get no or very low pressure. Saw a thread on a cobra owners club and people worrying about it being flammable, which is a little concerning, although the more i read on that the less i worried.

Will be asking Vince@ Stealth about it when i pick my bottom end up. I wonder if he has come across anyone running it.

I'd stick to G13 personally, or G what ever version it is these days. Apparently they've recently improved it to extend the life of water pumps and other watery spinney things.

How much is the waterless stuff then?

I'm off to lunch for some foodless food :lol:

Will cost about £70 I worked out, as I'd buy a bit extra for top ups.

"I'm off to lunch for some foodless food"

^^^^Mcdonalds i assume :lol:

I was thinking about this stuff for my 'other' car that I'm currently running (an old classic Daimler) but I thought it was some crazy price, like in the region of hundreds of pounds. If not, I may take a proper look into it!

Some good jay Leno videos on youtube. Says he has used it for 16yrs.

I am tempted to try it. At least I can give since feedback. Can't see it ending in total engine destruction.

Some good jay Leno videos on youtube. Says he has used it for 16yrs.

I am tempted to try it. At least I can give since feedback. Can't see it ending in total engine destruction.

I have thought about using it too.. I'll see how you get on Jim if you decide to get it

It won't destroy your engine, but it's not something I would consider using as there's no point.

So as far as I'm concerned the best thing to use is the correct concentration of H2O + G13 :thumbleft:

I change my coolant every 2 years and for me this is the most cost effective and reliable method.

Apparently you never have to change this stuff. Although am sure over the years you must lose some of it if something does break in the cooling system. But then with the low pressure I can see there being less chance of a hose popping off or coolant getting forced out of somewhere.

After taking my old engine apart you could see where coolant had been slowly eating away the edge of the channels in the head, which in turn leads to head gasket failure. Again I could see there being less of that going on.

What's it made from? No cavitation sounds like an excellent thing to promote cylinder head life (anyone who's dismantled a VR6 will know what I mean...)

Heard one horror story from using 100% glycol - a girl in the states suffered a total loss when her VR sprung a coolant leak while racing, the spot on the track she pulled over on had some fallen leaves on, and that plus the glycol ignited against the exhaust, melted the fuel lines and destroyed the car...

So if it's flammable I'd not be keen!

Stone

What's it made from? No cavitation sounds like an excellent thing to promote cylinder head life (anyone who's dismantled a VR6 will know what I mean...)

Heard one horror story from using 100% glycol - a girl in the states suffered a total loss when her VR sprung a coolant leak while racing, the spot on the track she pulled over on had some fallen leaves on, and that plus the glycol ignited against the exhaust, melted the fuel lines and destroyed the car...

So if it's flammable I'd not be keen!

Stone

They do say it's flammable at extreme temps. Think it was about 650c if poured onto an exhaust manifold. But they also mention the glycol in coolant does the same and the water can quickly vaporise leaving the glycol behind.

I too am unsure about it. Knowing how many coolant leaks I've had over the years. But then with less pressure, no corrosion and a fresh engibe build I'm hoping things won't leak (if that's possible)

8.2 litres or 8.6 with a/c according to the handbook.

I'd have to get 2x 5l in that case. So about £110. I must of bought quite a few of them vw g13's over the years. Can't remember what they cost?

They're around the £8 mark for 1.5 litres. Usually two bottles diluted is sufficient for temps in the UK.