A5 VRX

Inlet manifold question

Are the inlet manifolds the same for a coilpack car vs a dizzy car (VR6) or is there a difference? I have a spare one I want to refurb but unsure wether it will fit,

Cheers

Adam

The inlet manifold (top and bottom parts) are the same. The only bit that varies between coilpack and dizzy is the plate that covers the timing chains on the right side of the engine bay as you look at it - either it has mounting holes for a distributor or for the coilpack.

There is a small difference in manifolds between the 2.8l (AAA code) engine as fitted to Golf, Sharan etc and the 2.9l (ABV) engine as fitted to all Corrados - the 2.9l manifold has a wider plenum in the centre section. Otherwise, all the bits will fit both engines.

Stone

The one I have is off a Corrado (coilpack) so I guess it is fine to get it refurbed and fit it to my dizzy cap car?

Cheers

Edited by A5 VRX

When I fit this do I need a new gasket between the upper and lower manifolds? Is there anything else I need to do or is it straight forward? It has been sat in the shed a few years suppose the best thing to do is give it a blow through with a pressurised airline...

Adam

I'd always recommend new gaskets, it's just not worth the hassle of putting it all back together to find it's leaking and you need to do the job again.

Is it just the 1 gasket I need, sorry I don't know as I haven't actually removed it just painting an old one up

One between the head and lower part and then another between the lower and upper parts, I can't remember if there is one between the manifold and throttle body or not?

Yes, there is.

Throttle body gasket: 021 133 073C.

Upper-to-lower inlet manifold gasket: 021 133 227J

Lower manifold to cylinder head gasket: 021 133 227H

I would probably bin the manifold bolts and use fresh ones too - they're all cap head M8x30 (N 0147263). The four on the throttle body are probably ok but listed as M8x25-Z3 "hexagon head bolt (combi)" (N 0903151), whatever that means.

Hope that helps :)

Stone

If you like shiny things it could be a good opportunity to replace manifold bolts etc with polished stainless

when stealth did my head rebuild i purchased a polished stainless steel rebuild kit from http://www.liquidmetalrefinement.co.uk/

which tie in nicely with the other polished parts from daves16v :)

edit: pics in my build thread in members gallery

Here's some pics..

what a difference some sandpaper and a few coats of paint makes. Really does look nice and as Goldfinger says some stainless bolts would really contrast nicely.

Someone is or was selling the gaskets on ebay, new dealer stuff, been tempted to buy them but don't really need any more