Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

High lift 2.0 16v cams fitted by VW

I had interesting conversation at the weekend with Race power motorsport, apparently for about 1 year VW produced the Corrado 2.0 16v with cams of around 11mm lift, as standard the car was putting out just over 150BHP.

The car is supposed to be listed in a Snap-on data book.

Has anyone else heard of this?

thats the first ive ever heard of that and thats alot of lift my cams are 10.5 lift and that gets on my nerves sometimes

if it is ture ive never seen any so they really really must be rare

Any chance this is something to do with Oettenger? (I can never spell that word!!)

Close....Oettinger.

Lol - I could've found out if I was arsed ... people know what I mean hehe.

dont think so as they only ever put in the golf mkI which they modified a 8v bottom end engine to make it into a 16v and some of them ended up in some early mkII golfs

ive never seen one in a corrado

Pretty sure Oettinger have fettled a couple of Corrados.

There was a pinkish red one for sale on here not long back....

Would tuning an engine not extend to different cams, headwork etc?

Probably me talking out of my rectum as per. (Exams are starting to push older information out of my brain in place for the new stuff lol :lol: )

maybe but i still havent seen them

Also all Oettinger corrados from what i remember which had their make over where all 1.8 16v as they where some of the first ones to come out

I might be wrong aswell but im going but what i remember (which to tell u the truth isnt much lol )

Oettinger were to VW what AMG are to Merc, so it's very possible a C could have had different cams put in during or after the car's build. Several years ago a mate ordered a brand new MK2 16V from germany which came with a 150bhp Oettinger modded engine from new.

He was very knowledgable about these engines, he had not heard of them either, but spotted the Corrado 2.0 16v with around 150BHP quoted as a standard figure in a snap-on technical book. He reckons he spoke to a friend who works for VW, who confirmed a short run of cars with these cams. They were apparenly stopped because of emmisions.

I am running a 9A with gas flowed head and manifolds, KR inlet cam, performance exhaust and filter and was discussing cams with him, he managed to obtain a pair and recomends them over others including Schrick 268/276. He sent them to piper who can apparently produce them either as re-grinds or new.

Unfortunatley I don't have access to such a snap-on book, would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Apart from that, any reckomendations which cams I should use. Fast road use only.

He was very knowledgable about these engines, he had not heard of them either, but spotted the Corrado 2.0 16v with around 150BHP quoted as a standard figure in a snap-on technical book. He reckons he spoke to a friend who works for VW, who confirmed a short run of cars with these cams. They were apparenly stopped because of emmisions.

I am running a 9A with gas flowed head and manifolds, KR inlet cam, performance exhaust and filter and was discussing cams with him, he managed to obtain a pair and recomends them over others including Schrick 268/276. He sent them to piper who can apparently produce them either as re-grinds or new.

Unfortunatley I don't have access to such a snap-on book, would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Apart from that, any reckomendations which cams I should use. Fast road use only.

sounds like the usual mistakes that non VAG data books tend to print, as the last Corrado's crossed over build dates with the mk3 16v's with 150bhp ABF's fitted it wouldn't surprise me that someone mistakenly put the corrado 2.0 16v down as having the same engine in late 94/95 model years. Seems the most likely explanation to me, mind you, a standard 9A Corrado lump with a higher lift inlet cam would certainly give well over 140bhp I would have thought.

David.

what david is saying sounds about right

also 2L 16v with KR heads have produce power around 140-155 bhp with standard items exhuast and airfilter tend to realise about 5-10bhp :)

I'm going to look into it more over the next month or so, I will ring piper and ask them about them.

He has a dyno and says he compared them with standard 9A, and various performance cams in the same car and these gave good results.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Its not the exhaust cam modded as inlet cam like i have in mine?The zorst cam has more than 1mm lift than the 9a inlet cam making it something like 10.2mm instead of 8.9mm lift

Thats a possibility, although he did say 11mm lift.

How does the car go with this set up? Some people seem to think its good, others say it reduces power at low revs making it feel faster at high revs.

yeah 11mm lift is alot and u will lose bottom end but then ull get a higher top end

also makes idle very rough and thats why i dont belive it that it came on a standard or slightly modded car

Like ive said ive got a 10.5 lift and my idle on the DTA was 1000rpm and on the K-jet was about 900-1000 so that can give u some idea

Interesting. Have read before that VW were going to use the 150 BHP MK3 engine in the 16v until they decided to axe the C. They were also gonna give more valves to the VR to take it over 200 BHP. Shame we never saw any of this :(

More valves and a VSR, now that would have been a tasty motor..

thats basically what the nw 24v engines are :D

They all have a VSR like inlet and if u seen one with the bonnet open watch as the little flap up the front moves as the engine gets reved :)

Had a look today at the book, no sign at all. Ive never seen it in any of the older books to be honest, but RPM are usually pretty clued up so....

Thats a possibility, although he did say 11mm lift.

How does the car go with this set up? Some people seem to think its good, others say it reduces power at low revs making it feel faster at high revs.

The minute i had it fitted i noticed it felt alot more powerful at 2k upwards which is wot the corrado needs and it pulls even harder at 4k.You dont notice the kick at 4k as much due to having power lower down but it pulls harder and smoother.Best mod ive ever done and it cost me £35 :shock:

Alot more power from 2K upwards would be nice, especialy for £35.

Even with head mods. lightened flywheel, KR inlet cam it feels kind of lazy compared to either of my previous GTI 8 valves which were both standard.

Corradokid - Interesting that you can't find it. As you say the man at RPM really knew what he was talking about.

More valves and a VSR, now that would have been a tasty motor..

thats basically what the nw 24v engines are :D

They all have a VSR like inlet and if u seen one with the bonnet open watch as the little flap up the front moves as the engine gets reved :)

Yeah, but it would have been better in the Corrado, as we all know it was the best VW ever made, right?