graham1971

VR6 fuel economy

Could it be dragging brakes?

We had the brakes checked by a mechanic when we bought her, he said they looked pretty new and in good condition.

Was this a visual check of the brakes or wheels of hands on full inspection? Pistons and slider pins are prone to seizure on Corrado, in particular on the rear.

Fair play, no criticism in the question. I'm sure your mechanic is entirely competent. Only asked as we have had many folks see new brakes fitted, through the wheels, and assume all is in good working order, only to find later that the seized slider pins had been overlooked. I wish you well finding the answer to your mpg quest.

We had the brakes checked by a mechanic when we bought her, he said they looked pretty new and in good condition.

So did mine, passed MOT, cleaned and regreased by a competent mechanic just after I bought the car. They dragged only slightly and I only when I went on longer journeys could I smell them. Just go for a drive and touch the centre of the wheels (cautiously) If one is much hotter than the others then you'll know?

So did mine, passed MOT, cleaned and regreased by a competent mechanic just after I bought the car. They dragged only slightly and I only when I went on longer journeys could I smell them. Just go for a drive and touch the centre of the wheels (cautiously) If one is much hotter than the others then you'll know?

I'll give it a try, hope it is something like that becaude it would be relatively easy to get sorted.

Just on the MPG numbers for a 95k mile VR6, I just did 1600 miles through France mostly 80-90 with lots of 3 figure and lots of town driving. Measured from full to full worked out at 30.2MPG. Before the rebore it was at 18/19mpg. Excellent job from Vince @ Stealth Racing + high lift cams + Remap. (together with careful checking of all air hoses !).

I'd be temted to do an accurate mathematical calculation on the fuel consumption. I've never and an old dub with an accurate mfa. Usually they over read.

Well there was good news and bad news this week, she went in for an MOT and failed on the emissions, that's the bad news. Good news is one lambda sensor and one crankshaft sensor later and she flew through the emissions, runs like a dream and is now MUCH more economical on fuel. So it seems that they were the reason for my original fuel economy issues and the reason for this thread. There wasnt so much as an advisory on anything apart from the emissions, not bad for a 20 year old dub!