Roger Chatfield

Rear engine mount heat shield... is it needed??

Just for the lambda and rear knock sensor wiring as far as I know Rog. Maybe helps a touch with the brake fluid reservoir bid I can't see it being a huge amount. Why do you want to chuck anyway?

Out of interest how easy (or not!) is it to change this rear mount? The front one was done when I bought the car but the P/O gave me the rear one in a box saying he hadn't had time to fit it. I'm assuming that's because it's not easy to get to?

I put the heat shield back on. There are fuel lines near that area and also the exhaust manifolds. So probably the hottest most flammable area.

Not to bad to change the mount. Easier with the intake elbow etc removed. It's one of those areas you end up with loads of cuts and scrapes on your arms.

I think he's talking about the shield that shrouds the engine mount. It's almost like a cloak that covers it.

Rubber is sensitive heat cycling (why tyres get harder as the miles pile on) which is probably why VW put the shield there. Oil vapour and rubber makes for a damn good firelighter as well.