Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

A question regarding dent removal

Has anyone known dent removal people to drill a hole in the door shut area (if that's what it's called) to gain access to dents on the quarter panel crease, and then fill the hole with a grommet?

I'm having dents removed on said crease and this is how he proposes to do it. He claims it's difficult to do by going through the back of the panel because he requires leverage. He comes highly recommended so should do a good job.

I don't mind him doing it this way but I've never heard of it. I intend to get hold of that rigid plastic self adhesive tape stuff and paint it, that way there will not be any visible grommet when viewed from the side.

Your thoughts please.

Dave

Not majorly convinced myself! I presume you mean the bit on the right hand side of your Avatar? Can't he get access with the rear seat pan and rear cabin cards removed? I've had those bits out in the past (easy) and recall gives a fair bit of access to the skin to the rear of the doors / forward of the rear wheel arch. Doesn't seem to me to be a lot of benefit in 'paintless' dent removal if they end up drilling holes in your car! :shock:

In fact, now I think about it, I HAVE had a dent removed in that area, about four years ago. Don't recall exactly what access the guy used, but if he'd have pulled a power drill from out the back of his van and approached my car, I would have hit him! :lol:

Not majorly convinced myself! I presume you mean the bit on the right hand side of your Avatar?

Yes

He wants to put 1/2" hole in there..........now that's big :shock:

There isn't a problem getting the interior panels off, he says the position of the dents make it awkward to get to from inside the car.

Of course I would rather he didn't put holes in my car. I haven't decided to let him do it yet.

Might be worth a second opinon chap, must be another Dent Devils (highly recommended) type person in the area, perhaps? If they agree with your person, your'e reassured. If they don't think it necessary, they can prove it to you! Good luck with it, either way!

well, in 5 years of working on VW beetles, I never had to cut a 1/2" hole to get at anything...

I've seen people weld a wire onto a dent to pull it out and then grind the weld off and use a (very) thin skim of filler to smooth it properly, and I've seen people drill a 3mm hole and use a self tapping screw in it to give something to pull with a set of maul grips, and they both worked quite well in the situations they were in, but I'd want at least 3 independent people to tell me that the 1/2" hole is the best way to do it.... :?

Thanks guys for your comments.

If anyone knows of any good dent removal people in the Notts/Derby area that you've used before please let me know. I need to get these dents fixed cause they are embarrasing and are keeping me away from meets/shows.

Cheers

Dave,

Could you tell me what the name of the company is that you are talking about - I need to get a dent removed from mine in exactly the same place so I don't wanna waste my time calling them!

I've been told to use dent masters but I can't find their number - when I get it I'll let you know if you want.

Cheers,

David.

The company is Dents Plus.

Yes mate let me know. When are you planning on having your dent removed?

As soon as possible hopefully - it was done a couple of months ago and it's letting the car down so I'm gonna have to get it done!

I'll let you know his number as soon as I get it.

If there is no other way to gain access to the dent then you will have to drill a hole to get a tool to the back of the dent- especially if its rear quarter panel. I had a bad dent just above the fuel filler cap and one at the bottom of the rear wheel arch flare. I had the guy drill a small 4mm hole in the wheel arch and a hole the same size inside the fuel filler recess- both dents came out perfectly and the holes were treated and are not noticeable at all now.

Saying that I would be a little less keen to have hole drilled in the door pillar- if thats where you mean.- especially if its a half inch one :?

Cheers

Yes 1/2" in the door pillar. I would have thought there would be sufficient space to reach my dents from the inside but hey, I'm no expert. The guy doing the job has had a couple of Corrado's in the past so he might know what he is doing.

BUT and it's a big but, I, like most Corrado enthusiats wouldn't like holes drilled in their body work, especially bigholes.

I ain't gonna leave it there. I'll make enquiries.

Hi Dave,

(Gonna come over soon for that heatshield, promise!)

As for the dents you have... well, as you know mine has one horrible one along the crease of the drivers door. Well thanks to some tw@t parking right up close to my C, i have another one on the same side, rear quarter panel! I think its time to get something done now, cos one was passable, but 2 are bad, and embarrassing like you day.

Let us know what leads you get and if you get yours done b4 me, what kind of job you get. I will do the same. Am gonna see a bloke next week about it. (Dont like the idea of the half inch hole tho)

The company is Dents Plus.

plus what? bloody great big holes by the sounds of it!

tell him to go and f*ck.

I think I'll go back to him and say do it from the inside or not at all. He is doing it alot cheaper than most other places. I'll let you know what happens.