Diesel2000

Ignition Switch Question

Can the ignition switch and barrel be removed from the whole assembly or does the whole thing including the casting come as one unit?

IIRC the switch & barrel are 2 separate items & can be replaced individually

It's very fiddly but do-able. Hardest bit is removing the little retaining screw. Have a look in the wiki, there's a guide iirc.

Did this job today and although its fiddly its by no means difficult. Regarding the awkward grub screw, I used a slimline screwdriver to get into the rough area of the screw then used another screwdriver from underneath to bend the driver onto the screw head. When it came to replacing the grub screw I simply used the tiniest piece of blutac to hold the screw onto the switch, replaced the switch with the screw held in place then tightened using the same method as removal. No need to bodge it with zip ties, just basic tools and a bit of blutac stolen from the kids posters.

Well i did my switch today, followed the wiki guide and after a few swear words vented at the little screw, got the job done, i also opted to use some bluetac for replacing the screw which worked a treat thanks Mr Diesel2000.

A small tip for others doing the switch is to cover the windscreen with a blanket or similar to stop the glare of the sky when your laid on your back, worked for me.

Also the old switch looked to be slightly different pointing towards a pattern part was fitted before i got the car. Had no VW emblem etc stamped in the plastic anywhere as well.

I'll post some pics up of the switch for reference when i get more time.

I also fixed my seats up and down adjuster handle which kept falling off, found the 2 countersunk screws holding it in place where missing. Also greased the seat runners which were very dry while i was at it.

Edited by Ray1965