Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

exchange rate

hey

I was wondering if anyone has taken advantage of the current Dollar to Pound exchange rate. It is currently very good for us in the UK. I was looking at the Bahn Brenner site (currently dreaming of 16v g60) and you can pick the integration kit up for $1,299.00 which is only 710.289 GBP.

That to me is a good deal.

The screw compressor is still on the pricy side but still is well under £1500

The reason I have mentioned this to you all is that my mate is making a killing on ebay with various bargains he has picked up stateside.

Just a thought for you G60 owners

Laters all

Matt Buz

Don't assume that customs will agree with you bringing in lots of cheap bits ;)

i bought a guitar once from the states and when it got delivered to my office it i had to pay 158 quid duty on it but i filled a form in and got it all back eventually. I assume a similar thing can be done.....

if you get them to mark it as a gift or samples then they wont charge you duty or vat

I wouldn't say that's a guarantee though...

You have, for example, a $1,500 charger sent to you, marked as a gift - the declared value will still have to be the actual value of the item (insurance reasons I guess)....

It's coming from an American Company, rather than an individual - if I was working in Customs, I'd say it looked very odd for a Company to be sending a $1,500 gift. The same will apply to 'samples' - who would send a $1,500 sample to an individual?

Not saying it won't work, but just saying that it's not water-tight.

can you get individuals to send things like that marked as gifts tho? My sisters just gone over to america and she could buy me some oettinger alloys while out there... then send them to me :D

yeah, i worked for UPS for about a year. the best way to send something from the states to europe or anywhere else in the world is to declair things as gifts.

I've just looked on a couple of websites trying to find more info on this, and all them so far have said that the gift thing only works with items that are valued £36 and less...? doubt I could say my alloys are worth £36 :(

I think I'll just try and get them from germany... by the time I've paid customs and delivery from the US, the total cost willl be far greater

my mum just took me back the cast aluminium shrick sump from bbm yesterday.... :-P

was going to get a cam shaft too...but decided against it in the end!