Declan Sedrick Lehane

VR6 Gearbox

Hi All!

well I finally got the Storm on the road! now after three days of driving it, I have noticed the Gearbox isn't the best!

It struggles with reverse especially when its cold, and sometimes it struggles with 1st and 3rd. What options are good? A newer 6 speed box? Refurb etc?

Prior to a rebuild or anything similar, I'd look at a gearbox oil change for something like Redline MT90. Works really well in the Corrado gearbox and it's entirely possible it's never been changed!

Start by replacing the gear box oil. There are some good oils that make a good difference when shifting cold. I've used redline mt90 which is pretty good and recommended. Have a look on opie oils website, good info and great customer service. Discount codes available to forum members but it's worth checking regularly in here for when they have offers on. Oilman will give you some very knowledgeable info if you ask him too. If that doesn't sort it, make sure the shift cable alignment is good but other than that, it's quickest and easiest to source either a good replacement, or have yours refurbished by a reputable company. I wouldn't recommend the "refurbished" boxes that crop up on ebay. I'm sure someone on here payed circa £500 for one of those, and it died about a month later.