John-M

Where to buy a new Cat Converter ...

My '94 VR ( now with 4mo 24v engine ) is due it's MOT pretty soon and last year the cat only just scraped through so I have been meaning to get it replaced all year - but you know how it is, you put things off 'till .....

VW no longer supply cat converters, so can anyone recommend a decent supplier ?

Can't really complain too much I guess as the cat has done pretty much 250k miles !

And - hello again, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for so long .....

Edited by John-M

Thanks, emu. Has anyone bought a Cat recently and can report if they are as effective as the oem VW one ?

sorry jon - not sure

i was looking at a high flow cat from longlife exhausts but that was part of a manifold down system

I have recently had one supplied from Jetex (High flow).

I have not fitted it yet so cant tell you about it, but, that said, they did have my CAT to size it up against so they know the size.

Are you sure about that Sean? I remember someone else saying on here that if you didn't have the original engine with the car it was easier to pass the emissions test. I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that I've also heard differently.

It used to be the case that a 'different' engine made things easier - but I recall it changed maybe a couple of years ago and that 'loophole' has apparently been removed.

If you fit an engine pre 1991 then it can be tested at non cat pre 1991 limits.

description taken from longlife exhaust website

'DE-CATS - On some cars, including many diesels may be possible to remove the catalyst without causing any problems at the MOT. Call us for details to see if your car can be legally de-catted for more power'

that kind of implies that as long as your motor passes the emissions test without the CAT installed (IE at the same levels as if it was installed) then you still pass your MOT

anyone any idea?

I believe they'll do a visual inspection, and if they can see that your cat pipe is not standard or has been modified to a decat, they'll automatically fail you. The only way round that is to take your existing cat and smash all the innards out of it.

Thanks Jim & Billcor

I had to email the guy at longlife to work out a quote for a new system for my VR so i took the opportunity to question the statement on their site

i will post the reply once received

I've had a decat on mine for 4 years and never had a problem at MoT time. I just smile back when the tester looks at me and smirks a bit - it's worked so far! Lol :)

Thanks Dox - they look useful.

And thanks to those who posted the pointers to Cat suppliers ...... decision time v soon.

Edited by John-M