Bs6VR6

Non-ABS advice.

Hi guys,

Rebuild is continuing and due to a number of reasons, mainly the planned track days and hill climbs I am retro fitting a non abs setup to the Rado, have everything now bar the blasted firewall bracket, but have a few questions fro any brake experts put there. Have already run the two separate lines to the back, my question is this, do I still have to run a rear brake compensator when two lines are used(from my research I would say it does) and in which case, which one do you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

If useful I have a 312 front brake set up and the upgraded mk4 rear callipers on the rear, master cylinder is mk2 golf 22m with appropriate servo.

Cheers, Max.

A standard compensator is sufficient for the job. They are available from Heritage and the same as the mk2 Golf iirc. I'd say you definitely need one.

Oh Ok, on the 'Oichans' non abs guide he appears to fit an inline one, in the engine bay itself, it is a small bullet shaped thing, I was hoping there would be something similar, but able to take the two lines?

I've not seen it tbh mate. It's possible to retrofit anything with enough time and patience, but the mountings are there at the back for it, and it would make life a bit putting in the standard place. It's your call if you fancy something different though bud.

haha, mounts were there. My old one was utter shagged, just a blob of corroded metal, so it may of already been removed entirely, also simplified the new brake lines massively, I shall have to do some more research then, just hoping one of you brainy bunch may of already done it;-)Mainly concerned with whether I definitely require one with the two separate rear lines, finding the compensator shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

If you are doing it for the track . why not ditch the compensator and go with a manual bias valve they are not expensive .

That compensator in the engine bay was pretty much the same style as what is fitted onto the rear suspension setup. It is designed to accommodate the weight shift back and forth. Having a fixed rate compensator in anything other than a track car with solid suspension is pretty dangerous.

But, as you said you will be doing only hill climbs and track days, an inline bias valve that runs next to the driver would be the ideal solution if you are intending on ditching the rear mounted compensator. There would be no reason to run 2 lines to the rear then as you have no abs pump to modulate individual wheel speeds.

Have you thought about going for the TEVES20 system and retaining ABS? That is 4 channel and eliminates the compensator and is an awful lot better than the stock Corrado system?

Oh Ok, on the 'Oichans' non abs guide he appears to fit an inline one, in the engine bay itself, it is a small bullet shaped thing, I was hoping there would be something similar, but able to take the two lines?

he's bodged that up in all honesty , all bent up orig brake lines

run two lines to a bias valve and it will all work fine ...thats how non abs gols were plumbed in by vw , plus you get the added saftey of dual circuit brakes should a line burst

just converted my golf to non abs

Hey, thanks for the replies guys, a manual bias valve was the option I was going to go for, think my terminology may of been a tad lax. I did clarify in my wanted thread but although it will be used for track days and hill climbs it will predominantly be a road car, or will at least share duties. my idea would be to dial in a standard 'road' set up using the roller in my mates garage, that they test handbrake efficiency on, mark this on the valve and use this on the road. when I take it to tracks etc you can wind it on slightly, or experiment with bias but have that base setup to revert back to, does this seem feasible. Was going to fit it on the firewall in position of the original abs pump.

I have already fitted the two separate lines so will be using them both as a safety net of the duel lines. Ebay have a huge number of these, best place do you reckon?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Max,

Shean, yeah did consider the Teves 20 system, but for a number of reasons discarded the idea, be interesting to see how that system felt in comparison to the original though.

Edited by Bs6VR6

Instead of two in-line brake bias valves, I favoured the simplicity of a bias equipped pedal box assembly. I still retain a split system for safety on the event of fluid loss, but at the turn of one dial I can make fine adjustments to the brake bias.

Thanks for all the advice guys, had a good look now and there seems to be lots of good options, think I'm gunna go for two of the aps ones mounted side by side in the bay in place of the original abs pump, quite happy with that solution. Thanks again.

Max,