Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

Have i got a boost leak?

Have had the C now for about two months and have got the charger rebuilt by Darren @ g-werks but after doing about 1200 since the rebuid and running it in very carefully i am still only getting 1700 on the MFA at the redline and the power delivery doesnt seem very smooth approaching the redline. When removing the charger i noticed that one of the boost pipes is a bit cracked (the one that goes to the intercooler i think) is this where my extra boost is going i had assumed that i would get more boost than this with the stage 4 charger. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

pm darren, I'm sure he'll see the thread eventually,

I think you've just asked a retorical question though.........

Boost depends on pulley size. What pulley have you got fitted? If its std, then the boost you have is round about normal. If you have a 68 then you need help.

Also is your chip std or uprated?

Gavin

Boost depends on pulley size.

Solely? What is the reason for additional porting of the charger then? Im confused as to whether porting is for additioanl piece of mind or what.

porting provides more flow. more air for any given amount of boost.

flow is more important than boost

more air more fuel more power.

if you port the head you will see a drop in boost. thats because the passages are bigger so take more to fill. boost is just pressure. youll get more power but less boost.

IMHO it is better to think of boost as a measure of restriction not flow. Flow is what is important. The easier it is for air to get in the cyilnder the more fuel can be added and therefore more power produced.

If you port the head for example, there is less restriction which results in a drop of boost pressure. The flow is improved and you get more power.

Stick on a pulley and chip and see what you get.

1700 is .7BAR which is over 10PSI, just. What did you have before the charger was rebuilt? It is possible that there was nowt wrong with your charger as it was prior to the rebuild. New bearings and seals make sure that it is in tip top condition and will more than likely not throw itself apart, for 40000 miles at least.

Gavin

Have had the C now for about two months and have got the charger rebuilt by Darren @ g-werks but after doing about 1200 since the rebuid and running it in very carefully i am still only getting 1700 on the MFA at the redline and the power delivery doesnt seem very smooth approaching the redline. When removing the charger i noticed that one of the boost pipes is a bit cracked (the one that goes to the intercooler i think) is this where my extra boost is going i had assumed that i would get more boost than this with the stage 4 charger. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

hello there bert ?? if you have a crack in the pipe going into the intercooler i would assume that you are deftinatly loosing somthing through it...

if you fill me in on some more details ie rebuild no i could give you some info on the pre condition of the charger ....

what size pulley are you running as stated above i would be happy to see a charger on a std pulling anywhere from 10-12psi 68 > 12-15psi 65 > anything up to 20psi which mine pulls :lol:

hope this helps ..

Should have said the pulley is standard, and Darren the name is Robert from Northern Ireland, remember me im the one that sent you half the engine bay still attached to the charger!!!!

The pipe that has a few cracks in it is a flexible rubber hose, but i thought i should be seeing at leat 1800 with a ported charger?

Should have said the pulley is standard, and Darren the name is Robert from Northern Ireland, remember me im the one that sent you half the engine bay still attached to the charger!!!!

The pipe that has a few cracks in it is a flexible rubber hose, but i thought i should be seeing at leat 1800 with a ported charger?

any cracks in any pipes are not good news and are going to be main suspect for any leaking boost. u need to change the offending pipe to be honest ... also imho the mfa is not accurate as somtimes mine reads 1400 somtimes 2200 get you self a boost gauge .

Has anybody got part numbers for these pipes. Im pretty sure my are on thier last legs (1300 on MFA - used to get 1600+) and it would be great if I could just ring the dealer and quote the number. Otherwise it could take forever as they search for it.

Mark

http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/nn/vag51.asp

(11) 535 145 845 PRESSURE PIPE F >> 50-K-005 000* LOWER

27 535 145 844 A CONNECTING PIPEF >> 50-M-000 660

(27) 535 145 844 B CONNECTING PIPEF 50-M-000 661>>

26 535 145 828 A HOSE

My man at VW says they are not on his system (shock horror). Any one any ideas were I might pick these up ??