Ray1965

It's Service time on the VR

Bit of advise needed.

Been quoted from my local dealers.... £41 for two 5 litre tubs of 10w/40w VW Synta Silver engine oil. Read this is the oil to be going for? My engine has done just over 89.000 miles.

Oil filter £12.64p will check the part number is 021115562 (seen this on the forum).

Also quoted £13 for 2 litres of standard gear box oil.

Asked about plug removal tool but he could not quote me. he was service not parts so didn't get any where with that.

Is the tool you buy from VW not that good? i'm sure i read that somewhere.

So if so it means i'll be looking for a plug lead puller. :rolleyes:

Whats the best make of sparking plug, but not stupid money to run?

Cheers

Edited by Ray1965

Ebay metal ones are fine. The OE ones are plastic and flex, so its a pita to remove the leads.

Having spoken to Opie about the Synta Silver, its old tech so probably not the best for a high capacity higher mileage engine. You pay for quality oil though and the Fuchs Titan Pro Race 10w 50 recommended definitely quietened my engine down, but is pretty pricey. That said, buy 5l get 1l free is enough for an oil change with none left over though, but not a huge amount more that 2 5l tubs of Synta Silver. Gearbox oil should be fine. Again I bought Redline MT90 which most on here recommend from Opie. I didn't notice any difference in gear changes at all though.

lead removal tool - i think they're available on ebay for about £15. Dont get one of the 'original' plastic ones!

Spark plugs - NGK plugs are the best, you dont need anything fancy - BKR5EKU 3964

Oil is fine as well, dont know about the gearbox oil price although a lot of people recommend Redline MT90.

Edit: Sean beat me to it!

As above for plugs. These fancy you can't bend it 4 element iridium tipped plugs are pricey, and apparently cause rough running.