Jim Bowen

Using 1.8t MAF on VR6

From a quick google it looks like it's the other way round - putting the VR6 MAF on a 1.8T! But would be interested to hear if you turn anything up.

I don't think its the MAF but the inlet air temp sensor

The stock posision in the inlet has a lot of heat soak

On a cold day near 3degrees outside I was getting around 28-32 degrees IAT on a motorway run and lot higher for town driving up to near 50degrees!!

I have moved the sensor to inside the air filter and it dropped the IAT significantly which in turn give bit more timing advance

At the moment my filter is above gearbox and IAT is normally 3-5 degrees night than outside temp

The VR6's temp sensor takes about 15 seconds to update as well!

Kev can you explain this in any more detail iv been looking at this but heard mixed reviews

Pardon me for probably using the wrong terminology but the vr6 IAT takes longer to see a change in temperature

Where's the one off the 1.8t reacts/sees the change in temperature lot quicker

Pardon me for probably using the wrong terminology but the vr6 IAT takes longer to see a change in temperature

Where's the one off the 1.8t reacts/sees the change in temperature lot quicker

That's right, the VR6 element is prone to heat soak. The 1.8T had an open element and measures the temp of the air rather than the inlet manifold it's also quicker to react. I've a 1.8T sensor drilled into the maf, OBD2 has a blanked port that's perfect for it.

I decided to look into doing this so bought a used item for a few quid off ebay.

I had a spare VR sensor so did a comparison between the 2. Firstly I got the engine up to temp to the point where the fans were kicking in. I plugged each connector into the loom and let it hang down in front of the fan. I plugged VCDS in and monitored the sensor temps each time the fans kicked in.

The VR sensor updated on VCDS about every 2 seconds, the newer type sensor updated about every 0.5 second so not a huge difference.

I've not installed the new type yet.

The effects of intake air temp on a n'asp engine's performance is pretty negligible compared to a turbo engine, hence why VW had to use a faster one for the 1.8T and TFSI engines.

Also depends if you have a good cold air feed

It's ok getting a new sensor and sticking it near the filter only to see hot engine bay temps

stock 12v round town my IAT were in the region of +50degrees c motorway would drop to around 32 in winter