mic_VR

New Push Bike Advice needed - Quick!

Hi Guys

I know some of you are keen cyclists and I will soon be moving, making my commute about 5 miles each way.... which I'm planning on cycling.

My question is, Halfords are having a flash sale this lunchtime and would any of you recommend any of their range? I'd be looking to spend as little as possible but I would like a bike that's going to be OK and not falling apart in a few miles. Anywhere up to about £500 to spend I'd guess.

Suggestions welcome

Aye.. cycling snobs would write it off but for a basic road bike, I'm sure it'll be fine for that money. Go for it :)

Cheers chaps, never been into road riding or had a road bike before so not sure what's what.

Do you think I'll be able to fit different tyres? I'm not sure exactly what the commute will be over. I know most of it is cycle path or road, but I think one section of about 2/3rds of a mile is dirt track and I don't want to be fixing punctures everyday.

Cheers chaps, never been into road riding or had a road bike before so not sure what's what.

Do you think I'll be able to fit different tyres? I'm not sure exactly what the commute will be over. I know most of it is cycle path or road, but I think one section of about 2/3rds of a mile is dirt track and I don't want to be fixing punctures everyday.

Possibly worth looking at more of a hybrid bike then which could have some marginally wider tyres fitted, slightly more durable components and still be more of a whippet on road than a full on mountain bike eg this Voodoo (also at Halfords)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike-2013-2014-18

I've got a voodoo hoodoo Mic, great bike but I'd change the tyres over to something less off road orientated unless you want an air brake on the front of the bike.

I got mine for £450 a few years back and it's been faultless and the hydraulic brakes make it so much better than the cable operated discs that come on a lot of cheaper bikes.

There are better bikes but to get this off the high street won me over.

Agreed - if you want go down some dirt tracks and similar, you should be considering a hybrid as kerrly says :)