Jim Bowen

Connecting wires together?

When i cut the alarm out it left some gaps in wires that i need to bridge, the worst being a 4-5" gap in a 4-5mm thick power cable or two.

I tried soldering and got in a right mess so had to cut all that out. I remember Kev Bacon posting some connectors but can't remember the thread or if they go wide enough to do thick cables?

Anyone got any good electrical shops to buy from and what to get? Just did a quick google and found bullet connectors but they don't seem large enough.

Maplins is your best bet. If you can take a section of the wire in, the staff are generally quite knowledgeable and will advise you what's best that they have.

Duraseal mate - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-butt-splice-terminals/7820753/

They do all sorts of sizes but I have red (small), blue (medium) and yellow (large) in my box of wiring bits and I haven't yet found a wire that wouldn't fit into one of them. Except the really big stuff like starter wire etc.

You have to buy them in packs of 50 minimum unfortunately, which is no bad thing as I got through loads of them on my Corrado!

Make sure you buy the Duraseal brand and you need a heat gun to shrink them down after crimping.

Yeah RS's site is a navigation nightmare but they sell loads of useful stuff.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Nice one. Ordered all three sizes. Am going to need a box to keep all these bits in as already ordered the other ones I posted along with loads of other stuff I thought I could do with...