Bs6VR6

Definitive list of parts:- Mocal, slimline fans?

Hey, justt a quick one, need to get my Mocal oil cooler setup ordered and want to order a slimline fan set up at the same time, but cant find a definitive list of what parts I need?

Mocal oil cooler:-

I have an Audi 3.2 lump, with the standard oil/water exchange set up, what do i need to order from mocal? Would like to remove as much of standard set up as possible and just run the mocal and bypass water exchange, is this feasible? What do i maintain?

I assume a 16 row 235mm size radiator will suffice and want to run it with a stat sandwich plate, but the internal tubes etc I'm not clear on, anyone already fitted one, what did you use?

Slimline fans:- Either Spal or Revotec, was going to run just one single 12", I take it this is adequate? How do I go about fixing it, with there generic fitting kits or do I need a set of brackets as in the ones from the recent group buy?

itching to get it all ordered so help please.

Max,

Is that the better option do you reckon? Ordered a new hella radiator today, how would I go about securing them, the generic fitting kit or do you use the brackets? Cheers chris

ChrisL did a group buy not long ago for some brackets, nice bit of kit for securing a 9" and 11", think Sean_jaymo runs a single 11" and says that runs fine.

Not sure why you want a mocal, from what I hear the 24v runs massively cooler than the vr6. Is it because of engine mount? The mk5 oil cooler seems to be bigger than the mk4 by the way, ive just bought a mk4 type because it's smaller and water pipes enter from the front not the side

9 11 covers a lot of the surface area which is why I chose it. Chris l made same great brackets but I happ to know of some dg brackets (essentially the same) that are fs if you want them? I'll ask miles if they are available still if you like dude?

As Swiftkid said earlier, I run a single 11inch fan on home made brackets which are for all intents and purposes exactly the same as the recent group buy. I have the ability to add an additional 9 inch fan but in the middle of summer, in traffic going nowhere fast at over 30 degrees, I sat for 40 minutes and water never rose above 92/94c. Granted the duty cycle was pretty much consistent but it worked well.

Oil stayed at about 102/4 with the standard cooler too. Is there any reason you are wanting to fit an external oil cooler? It's not really needed. Even with track work in summer, with the standard fan shroud removed, you get so much more airflow into the engine bay that the standard cooler works a treat. If you do fit an additional cooler, at least make sure you run a thermostat so that the cooler is only used when required otherwise your oil will run too cool and be of detriment to the engine. At this time of year I struggle to get oil above 100c when giving it some love. Normally I'm at 92/96 depending on ambient temp.

If you're doing it for looks or pub talk then cool, but make sure you have a thermostat. If you have a turbo coming soon, then get a nice big version :-)

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Thanks for getting back guys. I'll clarify a few things, yes primarily getting the mocal due to the standard set up fouling on the front mount. I am running the Audi 3.2 engine, although engine bay asthetics do play a part. Think I may of sorted a kit, if it doesn't come with a thermostat shall I just purchase one directly from mocal. Still unsure as I have the mk5/TT set up what bits I keep and what I can discard, anyone fitted a mocal during their 24v conversion and what did they use? Sorry if I'm being thick just want to ensure I've got the right stuff!

Fan wise, if you(Chris) or anyone else knows of some brackets going I'll snap them up, would this then allow me to use the duel 11/9 spall set up yeah? That works perfectly for me? I had read from a Few sources that the one 11 was fine but I've had a turbulent past when it comes to corrados and overheating issues so for my own sanity more fans can only be encouraged😁!

Thanks,

Max

Edited by Bs6VR6

When you fit the mocal, you need a longer bolt that holds the top of the cooler in place, you know, the black dished top part? And then you simply fit the mocal sandwich plate in between. Have a look on the r32oc and see if anyone on there has fitted a mocal and take inspiration from that.

I won't deny they look cool, but you don't need to buy the biggest one you can find so that should save some pennies for other bits :-) Where would you mount it? I think the turbo boys fit their's in the air dam in front of the radiator.

I'm neurotic about cooling on mine since my fan melted itself to death but rest assured the single 11 is more than capable but if you save some pennies on a smaller mocal, then you can spend them on additional fans!

Fan wise, if you(Chris) or anyone else knows of some brackets going I'll snap them up, would this then allow me to use the duel 11/9 spall set up yeah? That works perfectly for me? I had read from a Few sources that the one 11 was fine but I've had a turbulent past when it comes to corrados and overheating issues so for my own sanity more fans can only be encouraged!

Thanks,

Max

I will call you regarding brackets dude. I have my mates spare set so I'll clear it with him n get you a price.....

Yeah, just ordered a new hella one, should be arriving tomorrow. Does that mean those brackets would be suitable?