Gti_Jamo

Had an old guy bitchin' about my G60 today.

I feel a lot of it boils down to how your asked , I have a track car that I work on regular , I've been asked politely to try and keep the noise down , wich I have , having someone go off on one at you , well it's not a great way to do it , and gets your back up straight away . And normally results in the oppersite of what there trying to achieve .

haha our road for parking is a bit dodgy, even though it is perfectly legal for you to park anywhere on the road, it does annoy me when family or friends visit, and the fella with a 4 car family has them over his drive and outside my house so there is no parking, although to their credit if some one comes to visit for a week they will make a space for them, think it boils down to communication and a bit of give and take, my nieghbour asked if we could slightly adjust the way we park as it can become difficult to park on the driveways when the road is congested, i appeased him and adjusted, my pal, who came once parked up and the neighbour hung out the window and had a rant, simply got back in his car and parked it over his driveway! it was funny at the time, but a few uncomfortable months afterwards ;-)

To get the oil temp up and operating at its most effective before putting the engine under load. The reason you shouldn't rag a car with the engine cold as it will cause premature wear.

Hmm, yes but...! Just don't rag it - if you think about it, your car will get up to temperature much quicker if it's being driven than left to idle. I'm probably going against the grain, but at the end of the day, some guy is grumpy about an engine being left running. Unless I'm wrong, I'm not aware that VW think you should leave your engine running to warm it up, so the problem could be solved by stopping running it and wasting your own fuel?! I'm sure our Kevin Bcon used to rant about something similar but not sure if this type of scenario. :)

Next time the old guy has a problem/stuck in snow etc... be sure to help him. The world works beautifully when we do things like that.

I feel a lot of it boils down to how your asked , I have a track car that I work on regular , I've been asked politely to try and keep the noise down , wich I have , having someone go off on one at you , well it's not a great way to do it , and gets your back up straight away . And normally results in the oppersite of what there trying to achieve .

That's it at the end of the day. Manners goes a long long way to dictate the outcome of moments like these. I think some older people see us in our older cars, which lets face it - were noisy when they left the factory compared to modern cars, and assume the worst.

Great thread though this has been, enjoyable reading lol.

Yes I believe the general advice is to drive a car gently until up to temp rather than let it idle. It gets the oil warmer more quickly.

Although this time of year you sometimes need to let it run while it gets rid of ice and misted up Windows. Although car does warm up pretty quick and trip is normally done in 5 mins

Manufacturers always recommend that you drive a car to warm it up, not let it idle. Doesn't change your neighbours being miserable buggers though! lol

Hmm, yes but...! Just don't rag it - if you think about it, your car will get up to temperature much quicker if it's being driven than left to idle. I'm probably going against the grain, but at the end of the day, some guy is grumpy about an engine being left running. Unless I'm wrong, I'm not aware that VW think you should leave your engine running to warm it up, so the problem could be solved by stopping running it and wasting your own fuel?! I'm sure our Kevin Bcon used to rant about something similar but not sure if this type of scenario. :)

Next time the old guy has a problem/stuck in snow etc... be sure to help him. The world works beautifully when we do things like that.

Remember it's winter time and i'm in Scotland. My car doesn't go anywhere until it's properly defrosted and relatively warm inside. Old cars are far more forgiving if you allow them to get some heat into them before you set off.

I help the neighbours whenever possible but wont entertain anyone with a bad attitude.

As has been said - it's all in how you ask. If I'm asked politely I will always do what I can to sort the situation amicably. Come out shouting the odds, swearing and threatening me and it's only going to end one way

Rant? Me? :) Be like Bacon, cause Bacon don't like waiting, for nothing.......so he just gets in and drives off :)

I blame car makers. Ford can't have patented *ALL* methods of screen heating, surely?

I can understand both sides of the situation to be honest, but whinging at someone for preparing their car for the journey to work is a bit pathetic.

What car defrosters don't appreciate is just how loudly an exhaust drone can resonate inside a house. What grumpy gits don't appreciate is car defrosters don't really have a lot of choice this time of year!

Apparently Britain is famed for it's tolerance. Really? It's not like people are idling all day long is it? It's pretty sodding obvious why people would be idling for 5 mins over winter! Pensioners like him look for reasons, any reasons, for confrontation and they think because they are old, they won't get a punch in the face for being an unreasonable twunt.

from my experience it's modern diesels that make the most noise when cold and that's often the early riser company car owners, not much you can do on cold morning though, you've got to clear the frost and condensation before it's safe to drive :shrug:

if you want to make things a bit quicker I've a reflective material screen cover that somehow keeps condensation off the inside of the screen as well as ice off the outside, must just keep the screen temp a little higher

i do tend to let my cars idle start and cool down but most are turbo'd theys days.in the old days with big carbs and no chokes it was a case of get them moving as soon asap.

the best complaint i had was from the manager when i worked as an engineer at an aero engine plant most day i rode an aircooled ducati to work and i parked it in a bike shed next to the engine test bed i worked in,the buiding opposite had a meeting room on the third floor.

no problem with a jumbo motor running flat out but a ducati ticking over in the shed shaped like a big megaphone would shake the room even the water in there glasses would move and the afternoon meeting would have to stop for a few mins till i left.

they did put up with it for 2 months before telling me, turned the bike the other way round after that and no problem everyone happy.