Thursdave

Anyone got a VAG 3111 I can borrow? or tips for doing rear bushes without?

Hi folks - need to change the rear axle bushes in my G60.

Has anyone got the special tool VAG 3111 that I need that I can borrow/rent for a few days? Failing that, is there any way to change them without the tool?

Cheers.

My best advice is to take the axle to the dealers if it's off completely already, it's a pig of a job. charged me £60 and was money well spent after an hour trying :)

May be worth ringing further away. i'd drive 50 miles to get this done but that's me.

They can be pulled in with some stud iron, that's how mine where done. Make sure you clean the bores in the axle first!

If you buy the Sealey VS722 (for the Audi A3/Golf 4) and use a grinder to bore out the centre of the large section, it works a dream. I did mine with the axle in situe, but need to be really careful around the brake lines.

In fact, if you want to use mine, I don't mind sending it down if you can return it. I'm hopefully not going to need it for another 215k miles! PM me if you do, it's no hassle, would rather it got used tbh.

Jamie

Jamiehamy: I'm fortunate that i've got a replacement axle to fit bushes to before fitting the axle complete to the car. How does your one work then, surely it tilts the bushing as it goes in?

Yes - it would tilt/skew the bush, so you need to use something to keep it flat - I used a socket that fitted in perfectly and kept it flat as it pulled through.

It's not ideal, but it does work and I found really easy - bush pulled straight through no problem. I was in fact quite amazed how quickly it pulled through. The threaded section is very slightly bent as a result of me initially not realising that without my 'bodge', I couldn't get the bush the whole way through. Once I ground it away, it pulled through compeltely no tother a baw,