Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Gearbox - longer 5th gear

I am currently building a 1.8 16v G60 and would like to fit a gearbox with a longer 4th and 5th gear, or just 5th gear to make better use of the available power and torque this mod will bring,

Can anyone provide any suggestions as to the easiest way to do this or are there any gearbox builders/recon firms that can do this?

Thanks,

Yan

Have a chat with Vince at Stealth Racing. There is no better gearbox builder in the UK that I know of and PhatVR6 is our resident Gear ratio guru.

K

why do you want longer gears??? mine used to top out at 130 in 4th god knows what in 5th but thats more than enough :)

5th isn't there for making use of power an torque, it's for cruising down the motorway.

you don't have that many options apart from a 0.71 out of a TDI, but that will be REALLY long.

what box have you got at the moment?

prob with g60`s are first and second gears are too short, get vr 1st and second gears and input shaft, and get stealth to build it up for ya,,, thats what henny`s done and he`s happy with it,,, :D

Lo all, thanks for the quick response, and to deal with the couple of questions,

Got a standard 1.8 16v box at the moment which allows me to drive in 5th at 30 mph.

I can't see the point of having another 70+bhp on tap and not making the cruising more relaxed, as most of my trip to work is done on roads where I can run at *cough* 70mph + *cough*.

Whilst this may sound a bit odd I am quite happy to drop a gear to overtake so I dont see a longer - even really long 5th as a problem as long as it pulls ok at about 40mph +

Thanks again,

Yan

how much power will you have at the end??

as again mine is a 1.8 16v standard box (really should reuild it over the next year or so) but im very happy with it

Looking at about 205bhp as a minimum final figure, should have plenty of tweaking options available because the charger is essentially gonna be standard spec, but I am fitting a TSR pack A head and have already got a set of uprated injectors and fuel pressure regulator, only problem I can foresee ATM is the exhaust will need completely replacing as it going to be causing a lot of back pressure in its standard spec.

Don't have a problem with the box in its standard form its just while I am putting this beast together I figure I may as well make the crusing more lesuirely.

Had a look at the Steath Racing site - so many nice mods just asking to be fitted! They do a six speed conversion that has the 6th gear function as an overdrive on 5th, just need to know how much now.

Yan

cool well for a 16vg60 your aim should be about 250 like im aiming myself :)

also exhuast wise i can give you some good tips how to get round the back preassure ;) pm me and ill go through it all or if your on msn add me to your list :)

as for Stealth I know them well and their work and i know the 6 speed conversion youtlak about but youll be looking at £3000 min from what i remember :(

rather spend the money on the LSD and that it ;)

Had a look at the Steath Racing site - so many nice mods just asking to be fitted! They do a six speed conversion that has the 6th gear function as an overdrive on 5th, just need to know how much now.

Yan

That site is ancient and as an aside, the 16V Turbo in project cars is my old motor and I've driven that white 2.0 G60, ah, the good old days :lol: . Stealth's site is in the process of being re-done but Vince hasn't had the time to feed all the relevant info to the site designer yet.

The Stealth/Gemini 6 Speed kit is around £1500 I think. It's a proper restack consisting of 6 speeds, not just a tall 6th plonked on the end, although you could have that if you so wish.

K

Figured the box was gonna be expensive as the quaife 6 speed setupis about 2k for the internals too, just have to see how the cash goes closer to swapping the engines over.

As for the bhp output I don't wanna be making outlandish claims as to what I am gonna get, but the original version of this engine that VW made so few of kicked out 208bhp so I would expect more than that with a TSR pack A head fitted and some breathing mods for the charger. :)

Added you to my MSN aposegil - will be in touch! :D

Yan

P.S. Anyone know whats in the first aid kit as mine is still in its shrink wrap :shock: and I don't wanna open it.

P.S. Anyone know whats in the first aid kit as mine is still in its shrink wrap and I don't wanna open it.

first aid equipment..i.e plasters bandages etc...you could always stick it on ebay and make some quick cash :lol: