fendervg

Possible symptoms of dodgy ISV on VR6

Hi all - my car tends to idle high on cold after start up and sometimes I get the dreaded needle dropping when coming to a stop. Could this be a problem with the idle stabilization valve? I've checked for vacuum leaks and all the piping appears to be sound. I don't want to invest in an ISV unless I have to as they are quite pricey. Thanks.

Sounds like it could be the isv. You can take it off and clean it out with a solvent spray and then wd40. You can also check it works with a 12v power supply.

I would leave it in carb cleaner for 12 hours , that will clean any crap out . Not sure what your saying about the cold start up ?its meant to run high .

They are the same symptoms I had when my ISV failed. I am on my second ISV now (had my Corrado for over 10 years) and both times it had the same sympoms. Probably not easy, but it may be worth borrowing a known good ISV to prove if yours is faulty.

Ok - will clean and test the ISV. It idles at around 1000 RPM for a while from cold and then settles down to 640. Is that normal?