Mystic Blue VR

First pics of Storm

The total will come to about £1,500 & for that the the whole car except the roof & tailgate have been painted. He's (KD Burns at Prudhoe, Northumberland) done an excellent job & removed all the trim, taken the wings, bonnet & sills down to bare metal, realigned a wing & not cut any corners. Also, when I kept adding to the job it was no problem for him. When I was in the other day the finish, before polishing was excellent. The end result is going to very good indeed. :cheers:

That's cheap. Can you ask next time your in for a price on full lot for me

That's cheap. Can you ask next time your in for a price on full lot for me

Well it's a known fact up North you get more for your brass! :smug:

I might see him tomorrow & I'll ask for you.

Well it's a known fact up North you get more for your brass! :smug:

I might see him tomorrow & I'll ask for you.

Cheers buddy for the email address, Ill email and see what he can do... might get it in over the winter when it just sits in my garage for 6 months

Cheers buddy for the email address, Ill email and see what he can do... might get it in over the winter when it just sits in my garage for 6 months

No problem Lee. If you go ahead & if I can (depends on work!) I can always drop you off at the railway station for you to get back home.

No problem Lee. If you go ahead & if I can (depends on work!) I can always drop you off at the railway station for you to get back home.

I'll keep you posted

Update.

Nearly there & it's looking very good. :shades:

Bonnet to finish, a few bits of trim to reattach & a good clean. Ready to collect Friday & straight to VW X Automotive for service & mechanical assessment. Gulp! :eek: No, I'm sure it's not too bad. Here's a few pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81428[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81429[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81430[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81431[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Well picked the car up this morning, a perfect morning as the sun was shining, & wow! I'm really pleased with it. It's been done to a very good standard & the finish & depth of shine, before being detailed is excellent. It looks 'new'. :awesome: The only thing I'm not happy about is that the nearside corner of the front bumper needs aligning better but apart from that first class. You can see from the pics the finish is lovely. I'll take some more when time & weather allows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81464[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81465[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81466[/ATTACH]

Then it was off to VW X Automotive at Hexham & there was some good & bad news. The good is there's nothing very bad! The bad is we found a small, 5-6mm hole in the floor just below the bottom of the nearside wing. Annoying as it would have been a simple fix when the wing was off :mad: That said the body shop couldn't see it & I was unaware of it. Not serious, more annoying so sealed for now & to be addressed at a later date. Breather valve, the one at the back of the head on drivers side is perished so need replacing & one of the track rods needs replacing. Some of the brake pipes are a bit ropey but will clean up & the exhaust is on it's last legs. The original un cut one from twenty years so it's done ok! I've got a spare. The car was serviced, throttle body cleaned & scanned on Vagcom which revealed an ABS sensor fault, which I knew about. Also, when the car was idling we could hear an occasional arc from the ignition. Could be leads or coil pack, which sort of makes sense as I was thinking the car wasn't pulling cleanly. Need to sort that out too. Could be expensive that one! Next I'll get the underside cleaned & waxoiled properly then get the suspension fitted & set up properly over the coming months. Then tackle the other jobs when time & funds allow.

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Great job love that colour and can see why you wanted that one specifically. And list of jobs could be a lot worse so happy days

Great job love that colour and can see why you wanted that one specifically. And list of jobs could be a lot worse so happy days

Thanks Chuggs. As you say could have been a lot worse! It's always a risk buying a twenty year old car. Gutted about the floor though.

Always loved Mystic Blue. Looks dark blue in overcast conditions & flips to purple/blue in sun light.

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Couple more pics of the new paint job. I've had a really good look at it today & I think it's really excellent & can definitely recommend him to folk on here. The paint has a real depth to it & looking down the sides of the car it's arrow straight. Detailing next week & pics to follow.

The simplest of jobs & I made an arse of it! Putting the grill badge on I managed to twist it so it wouldn't go in & I couldn't get it back out! Panic :bonk: Take a step back. Ring Chris (Lilfuzzer) & sorted. Thanks mate. :thumbleft:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81467[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81468[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81469[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81470[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81471[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Car back from the valeter & looking a lot cleaner, certainly inside! Nearside headlight has misted (Grrrr!). I'm very pleased with the appearance of the car now so onto the mechanical side of things next. Suspension & replacing the coilpack & split PCV valve & hose to get it running better. At some point the two front seats need a refurb as the drivers side, inside bolster, has some cracking. Probably next year. Here's a few pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81557[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81558[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81559[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81560[/ATTACH]

Sourced a couple of parts. Bosch coil pack from local motor factor, £150 :eek::eek: ! My local VW parts, good as they are, couldn't get anywhere near this.

The PCV valve was a bit more problematic to find as a single part. Eventually got one, the last one, from VW Parts International for £48.00. I've been quite lucky with parts up to now!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81610[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81611[/ATTACH]