Chuggs1

Charging a car battery

Hi

Well after having my de-charging battery resolved to a boot light being on the battery is dead again.

Brand new battery

OK - battery was flat when problem was resolved and went for 2 hour drive after a jump to charge battery up - after sitting for a couple of days battery is flat again - battery is 60amp hour. How long would it take for the alternator to fully charge battery - was a 2 hour drive too little - have taken battery off and is now on a slow charge on a charger charging at 2amp

1. How long would alternator take to fully charge a virtually dead battery

2. Could this have been the reason for battery being flat again after 2-3 days?

3. How long does charger take to fully charge battery at 2amp

Thanks

David (Chuggs1)

1. Alternator is only there to top up the power depleted when starting. Charging a dead/flat battery can damage the alternator.

2. Sounds like your alternator isn't charging the battery or something is draining it.

3. 2amp - no idea but doesn't sound a lot. It took ages for my battery to charge on a motorcycle optimate charger.

First thing I'd do when you try it again is put a multimeter on the battery to check voltage 12.6 not running and should increase to 13.5 to 14.5 when running (depending on lights etc)

When my alternator packed in it was showing 11vdc, so obviously wasn't charging the battery that after a normal rest will be 12.6 or so volts.

Ok - hoping the alternator is ok and it just needs a proper charge up .

Was showing 12.5 about an hour or so ago now at 12.7 - see how it is in a few more hours - what's optimal? - having had a google - yes alternator not for charging battery up so need to get it back up to full charge then see how it gets on - now boot light sorted and there should not be any more drain than normal

Oh and I do have a fats charge option on the charger but thought it best to put it on slow and leave for 24 hrs plus? How does that sound?

12.7 seems good, how long has it been on charge?

After my charging woes I bought a gauge like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Mini-LED-12V-24V-Car-Vehicle-System-Voltmeter-Voltage-Gauge-Volt-Meter-/360650995916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f87978cc but mine does temperature too. Cost a couple of quid so this link unlikely to be the cheapest.

Great bit of kit to see what the charging circuit is doing and one can see if things aren't working right immediately.

Just been on charge for about 2 hours now - what should I be looking at - charger light is still amber - should go green when fully charged I think and there is a little viewing cirle on battery that should also go green when charged - its black at moment.

For any technical people - on a full charge if I start a car after standing around for 1 week with normal power sap from the car and run with no lights on how long should it tale the alternator to take it back to full - how many miles/mins?

Chuggs,

Just an idea if your Corrado is not used as a daily.

I keep my battery topped up with a solar trickle charger. Got mine from Maplins for about £35.00 I think. Been up for two years & used on the 944 (notorious for battery drain)prior to the Corrado. Never once failed to start at the first turn of the key. Prior to using a solar charger I went through numerous batteries on other cars that were not used daily.

Chuggs,

I keep my battery topped up with a solar trickle charger. Got mine from Maplins for about £35.00 I think. Been up for two years & used on the 944 (notorious for battery drain)prior to the Corrado. Never once failed to start at the first turn of the key. Prior to using a solar charger I went through numerous batteries on other cars that were not used daily.

Nope not used every day but do try and get out in her every Tuesday and Thursday to the gym which is only 2 miles away but try and do a further run as I know 2 miles is not enough so tend to extend the journey to about 5 each way - then on a weekend will go out on a longer drive - just for jollies.

Trickle charger sounds good - doers this sit outr side of the car or can it be run to the insde and sit in the window - do you have any links?

Thanks

OK - gonna sound dumb now - what exactly is it? Is it just a charger as in plug it in to main and clamps on battery when battery needs charging or is it something more perm? - please explain in Chuggs simple terms lol

Chuggs,

These are the one I found.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-15w-battery-auto-trickle-charger-l58bf

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-24w-battery-trickle-charger-n59fu

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-48w-battery-charger-n30cx

Move away from your beloved magic roundabout to windy yorkshire and

i ll bring my over to yours in person!!! ;)

1CBB5E97-A085-455A-B11A-8452830F9D20-8506-00000D8AB4A55F72_zps97e39842.jpg

57A62190-8732-4B5F-AF3E-EB59B1E390FA-8899-00000EC0EA717300_zpsa718917d.jpg

CTEK about £50+

But get a similar LIDL one for £15!

It takes about TWO days to FULLY charge and RECONDITIONS a almost flat battery.

Its like a CLEANING and REJUVENATE process in one!

MUST be indoors and can plug into mains 24/7 365 on trickle charge after fully charged!

Can connect to battery in car (or battery off car)

Lol... So is it a perm fixture?

It is whenever i SORN my cars in garage.

Or when i got my C back last Friday from garage,

I put CTEK on C from Friday night til Sunday morning when i went to see Vah-hag to service my car ...

Ok well that may have to wait. Just bought a charger for 60 notes. Battery is on it now. Battery only 2 months old so should not need conditioning. May get a solar trickle charger as mentioned earlier to leave on perm.... Sounds like a great tool for car not used everyday

Will my car ever be sworn ... Don't know ... Maybe if I ever get garage extended. May have to sell some things for via fund. My David walker painting may have to go on eBay this weekend boo hoo

Teh Ctek one i posted charges batteries, but can also revive old batteries and it does say you can leave it connected to keep battery topped up, but i must admit i don't like that idea, i've just been connecting up my battery every month (as car has been off the road for about 1yr now) and battery is sitting on a shelf.

Yep, that type of thing. The exact model I have isn't there. Two years ago so may have changed. I'd go for the highest wattage one.

I mounted mine to the garage roof, reason being there is no mains electric where I store it so solar power it had to be! They work from light so should work behind glass. Aprart from the initial cost they cost nowt to run & are maintenance free. A winner in my book.

So there is no issue with just having one of these plugged in for a few months if sworn jus

Will my car ever be sworn ... Don't know ... Maybe if I ever get garage extended. May have to sell some things for via fund. My David walker painting may have to go on eBay this weekend boo hoo

Ist DIBS!

A farthing!