thamouse1981

advice required

I have just viewed a corrado vr6 the cosmetics were not great but the engine seemed very good and well looked after. However should i be concerned that a 99k engine hasnt had chains/tensioners/clutch or head gasket done? How fragile is the vr6 engine? I know there is know schedule for the chains to be changed but a lot of people do so there must be an issue somewhere. Thanks for all input

I'd budget for chains & tensioner etc if you go for it. 100 - 120k is recommended for change, although 20 years is a long time for plastic guides and a slightly weak point in the top tensioner bolt and rail anyway. Depending on how hard a life it's had, clutch would be at the back of my mind too. I always budget for a major service regardless if it's due as well. Water pump would be a good shout too. As much as it's nice have a low mileage car, it's 20 years old and unlikely to be without its problems due to that.

I think it has previously had the aux water pump done, do most people do the chains themselves? Are the parts still available ie gaskets and seals?

Parts are easy to get and chains are doable if you are spanner happy. Use the potential work as a buying leaver

Yes its relatively local to me, it is a really honest car other than the wheels which were fitted when he bought it. It also has a start button which i wasnt a fan of so would intend on getting a new gear stick surround. The interior other than the button is very good condition. Heater direction doesnt work and spins freely. Exterior has many car park dints on the angles but only a little rust. Bonnet is stone chipped so im fairly convinced it is original paint...but it drove fantastically really smooth no fresh oil leaks just a bit of old residue. I would budget front and side respray.

I was thinking along the same lines tony i find it a strange mod to have an immobilizer key, put the keys in ignition turn it on then push a button! May as well turn the key

Ignition switch is an easy fix however chains and tensioners are a gearbox off job.

Unlike most engines the timing gear on the VR is not on the free end. It's not a bad job if you are handy with the scanners.

Rog.