Jim

Petrolicious video about the Scirocco MK2..

Nice little video by Petrolicious about the MK2 Scirocco. I think many of the points he makes, and certainly the feelings he has about his car sum up for many reasons why so many of us persist with the Corrado as well. Certainly worth a watch.

The only thing that confused me about the video, was the guy saying that no company will make reproduction parts for cars like the Scirocco because they have such little value compared to say old Porsches, whilst simultaneously acknowledging that these cars are now very much mostly 'enthusiast' owned. And most enthusiasts I know will pay good money for parts - it's just that quite often they simply can't *get* them and seemingly companies that do actually manufacture reproduction parts are just too lazy to do research into which bits are obsolete and what enthusiasts are demanding.

You only need to look at the roof gutter strips that karmannski is working on. I've no doubt he'll sell a boat load of those.

And the binnacle covers I had made up - really the costs associated with getting them made were not that substantial and I could probably have charged more and people would have paid for them.

The value of the car has precisely bugger all to do with it IMHO.

The difference in a enthusiasts making or sourcing parts, is there time and skill is usually given for free. Where as a company will try and cover all cost in the part, so its not profitable all the time for a company.

Indeed. But the point I'm making is that people will pay 'Porsche reproduction' prices even on cheaper cars such as Scirocco's / Corrado's where these parts are obsolete and vital for keeping the car on the road.

Great video. It reminds me so much of the third car I owned and certainly the first one with any decent performance; a Scirocco mk2 GTX. It's the reason I now have a Corrado. At the same time my brother had a mk2 Scirocco Storm but with a dealer fitted Oettinger 16v engine. His car is still running although he no longer owns it.

Such fun cars.

Good video, used to love my mk 2 rocco scala injection, quick car as it was so light, always fancied fitting a 16v to it and then moving the brake system to the correct side as you would have had clearance for it then.

Under rated car by most people sadly.

Nice video, had a red GTII and loved it for the 6 months I drove it, albeit it was a bit of a dog!!

Fair points above, and surely new manufacturing methods like 3d printing are going to greatly help enthusiasts with parts problems.