paceo

top timing chain quiet loose after fitting new cams - vr6 corrado engine!

hi guys, sorry for the questions, this is me being paranoid now, we have just put the 263 cams in the corrado vr6 engine, but this chain seems loose all the way round, when it had the standard cams and the 27mm hydraulic tensioner removed the chains were not this loose? is this ok? :thumbleft:

this one with my finger was quite tight with the 27mm tensioner off, now with the 263 cams changed its loose.

chainnn_zpsdrhojzqy.jpg

20141005_212432.jpg

That's mine. Its standard new vw chains and related bits, the newer style tensioner and 263 cams. Although the cams shouldn't really change anything as it's the same sprockets.

I did notice the new top chain was less slack than before. Mainly between the sprockets at the top. I noted it was sagging between them before.

The tensioner bolt fits on the right in the pic screwed into the upper side cover, is the chain slack then?

The chain guide is on the left and doesn't tension the chain.

yeah apply some pressure to the tensioner side. looking at my cam pickup sensor it looks as if the rear sprocket is a bit further clockwise than yours.

do you have the cam locking plate in place? Are they new chains? i have no idea how you measure them for stretch though

all brand new chains jim, I think whats happened when we removed the cam locking tool we have slightly jigged one camshaft maybe a 10 degree turn when removing the locking tool, ive just looked and put it back into place with a 15mm socket and it looks spot on timing wise and chain is not slack. its the cam sensor sprocket ive turned clockwise slightly.

ccc_zpsrcpuslgj.jpg

Edited by paceo

Nice one. All looks nice and clean.

How come you kept with the original tensioner and bolt? The newer stuff is cheaper iirc

Nice one. All looks nice and clean.

How come you kept with the original tensioner and bolt? The newer stuff is cheaper iirc

ive got a brand new 27mm bolt tensioner spare from vw, the guide is a new one from vw yesterday, i binned the old scored up one! but yes yours looks different?

also did you smear any gasket rtv sealant along the headgasket where it sticks out?

gask_zpsbf5frwyw.jpg

Edited by paceo

My advice is NOT to put sealant on the projecting head gasket , if you need to take the covers off again you will tear the gasket and then you will have to take off the head to replace it.

Best wishes

RB

My advice is NOT to put sealant on the projecting head gasket , if you need to take the covers off again you will tear the gasket and then you will have to take off the head to replace it.

Best wishes

RB

cool, it was sealed before with a light smear of sealant, i carefully used a sharp thin blade to separate it.