Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

VAG-COM software & lead

I've been looking at buying the $199 VAG-COM for my VR6 for a while now, but being a cheapskate :wink: , I bought a generic OBDII scantool from http://www.scantool.net for $40ish. But that turned out to be a waste of cash as the Motronic ECU is not OBDII compatible. :( :( :(

Can anybody recommend either:

A cheap/reliable ISO9141 (the car's diag socket) to RS232 converter - so that I can just reg. the VAG-COM software,

or a cheap source of cable and/or software???

Anyone selling either???

try ross tech they do all the software for VAG COM

yeah I know - at $199 plus import duty/VAT.

I was hoping someone may have either a source of cables in the UK, or someone selling a copy of VAG-COM.....

Is there a specific cut-off point for OBD II and I equipped Cs?

Without popping up the gear surround, is there any way to tell?

i.e. Coil pack VR6s definately have OBDII or something.

Just pondering, as I'm lazy... hehe

try ross tech they do all the software for VAG COM

yeah I know - at $199 plus import duty/VAT.

I was hoping someone may have either a source of cables in the UK, or someone selling a copy of VAG-COM.....

To save import duty get them to ship it as returned goods! :D

Is there a specific cut-off point for OBD II and I equipped Cs?

Without popping up the gear surround, is there any way to tell?

i.e. Coil pack VR6s definately have OBDII or something.

Just pondering, as I'm lazy... hehe

AFAIK andi, you have to remove the gear lever surround to see which socket you have

Just to clarify - although later Corrados have an OBDII style socket - the ECU/ABS actually still talks OBDI. i.e. even though the sockets are different from early to late Corrados, the electrical protocol is still the same...

(I know this 'cos I bought a generic OBDII interface lead and it wouldn't talk to my C - VW then confirmed that no Corrados left the factory with OBDII compliant diagnostics.)

Excellent tip! :D

Assuming they're friendly enough to do it! Several places in the US that I've used regularly seem to be playing it by the rules now, whereas before they would ship as "sample goods" etc. :(

Excellent tip! :D

Assuming they're friendly enough to do it! Several places in the US that I've used regularly seem to be playing it by the rules now, whereas before they would ship as "sample goods" etc. :(

Other Ideas, get them to put the senders address as yours, or somewhere in the EU. Get them to send it as a present wrapped up in paper. LOL

Well your in the North West mate so if you need your ECU reading give me a shout - and your right about none of the Corrados being OBD2.... common confusion... ALL Corrados talk OBD1 protocol although the sockets for connection do change around 93/94....

You can also download a freeware version of VAGCOM from Ross-Tech.... this is enough for reading fault codes, etc.

Scott.

Got a mate who is a electrical wiz to make me one *:)

He took apart a friends OBD connector for his Golf VR6 and made me one up from scratch - works a treat *:)

Charged me a pint of lager *:)

Scott

RossTech have a uk site where you can buy the basic kit for £139... :D

Yes but they still order from Ross-Tech in America. I bought mine from the US site and it arrived 2 days later. A friend ordered an early OBD1 (twin plug) converter lead to use in my OBD2 lead from the UK site and it took weeks to arrive.

Kev

Got a mate who is a electrical wiz to make me one *:)

He took apart a friends OBD connector for his Golf VR6 and made me one up from scratch - works a treat *:)

Charged me a pint of lager *:)

Scott

Have you got a picture of your home-made lead? I'd love to see what IC components he used.

Kev

Have you got a picture of your home-made lead? I'd love to see what IC components he used.

Kev

Usually just opto-isolators, some resistors and a tranny....

(as in transistor not an Izzard...)

Kev

(as in transistor not an Izzard...)

I can sort a picture no problem - but yeah opto-isolators and resistors are basically what it is..... remember its not a self powered device - it is just a converter for the pulse segments - the software does the main job....

Hmmm, there's a lot more involved than that and there certainly aren't any optoisolators or phototransistors involved. Why would there be in a hardwired electrical circuit? No light involved.

Kev

Well I will get the diagram out and tell you whats in it *;)

Trust me - it works fine 8)

Hmmm, there's a lot more involved than that and there certainly aren't any optoisolators or phototransistors involved. Why would there be in a hardwired electrical circuit? No light involved.

Kev

Using opto couplers is a cheap & nasty (but standard!) way of doing a voltage conversion (between ISO9141 & RS-232) and safely isolating your laptop from any nasty voltages lurking around your car's loom...

OK, you learn something everyday! So basically the signal is converted to light at the plug end and then back to electricity again?

Kev

hi, i have a 95 vr6, connector plug 16 pin type under gearstick, which cable do i need off ebay, and which version software from rosstech? i only have usb on my pc no serial port.

thanks