TuckerZak123

MK3 front calipers on 16v?

After hours of research, I've decided it's time to do what I should've done a long time ago...

Right, my front drivers side caliper seized on my '93 2.0 16V and I needed a quick replacement, already have MK4 rear calipers so when I had the opportunity to get both front calipers and carriers from a MK3 in good condition for £24 total, I didn't hesitate thinking it'd be a fairly easy swap. It was a P reg Golf, so '97? And I read that after '95 they had 288mm calipers on this model rather than 280mm, turns out I can't find 4x100 288mm discs anywhere! Would anyone be able to shed some light for me? I've heard I could use 280mm G60 discs with the 288mm Golf calipers and carriers, but doesn't sound great as pads would hang over the edge.. Also, I need to consider the size of the offset in relation to the caliper? Any solutions, or even possible ideas would be great!

Cheers, Zak

I beleive Fiat coupe non turbo 284mm disks are what you need for 4 stud fitment of 288mm calipers and carriers.

I've not done this myself, just read it on CGTi forum

I've searched ECP for the disks and I put this up so you can use it for the dimensions for comparrison, I've not done the conversion so accept no responsibillity if they are wrong and ECP wont allow you to return them.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Fiat_Coupe_2.0_1998/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-disc/?104580078&1&a1e6673ce77b12fb76bda6842a8bd21c7e49110c&000027

Edited by Dox

Can't thank you enough for the info, just one problem being the centre hole. On the Fiat Coupe it is 59mm, whereas on my 16v it is 65mm, not sure about a solution for this, I appreciate your help though!

Can't thank you enough for the info, just one problem being the centre hole. On the Fiat Coupe it is 59mm, whereas on my 16v it is 65mm, not sure about a solution for this, I appreciate your help though!

Do you know an engineer or machine shop that could machine them for you?

I run Fiat coupe discs on mine (when it was on the road) I got a machine shop to enlarge the center bore and drilled the bolt holes so they are 1mm larger

I run Fiat coupe discs on mine (when it was on the road) I got a machine shop to enlarge the center bore and drilled the bolt holes so they are 1mm larger

Is that on a 4 stud 16V with 288mm MK3 calipers and carriers? Sorry about my lack of knowledge, done hours of research but I can only ever find information on rear MK4s haha! What about the disc offset too? I think the Fiat disc width in total including the offset is 39.3mm whereas the MK3 Golf ones are only 28.4? I may be wrong though. Could do with some website where you can stick in the details you need and they make them up for you like they do brake hoses etc haha, cheers though :)