Jim

VR6 Aux Water Pump Question (when should it be running..)

Steadily building up a laundry list of jobs to tackle on my car. One of which is the aux water pump which has become quite loud in recent months. However there is a bit of a mystery. I normally disconnect my battery as the car sits in a lock-up for a couple weeks at a time between use.

When I first connect the battery, and turn on the ignition for the first time, the aux water pump whirs to life and keeps on whirring. Fine. However if I don't start the car and instead turn off the ignition, and back on again, the pump doesn't come back on again. Is this normal?

I was under the impression that if the ignition was on, the pump would be running (and of course if the coolant is at a certain temperature) - no ifs, no buts. So any idea?

Thanks.

that is a good question Jim

I have never tried the sequence you mention but I can not see any logic in the aux pump only running on the first turn of the key after reconnecting the battery

as you say I thought it would always run if ignition is on or if the engine temps tell it to after use & the key is removed

I am in the VR today so can not test straight away but I can do so when I swap the cars over when I get home tonight & let you know

I have the feeling for needing some decent power on the way to work tomorrow lol

I could never get a definitive answer on it either. Maybe you found a secret 'feature' to turn it off Jim! :)

I do know that it's function is tied in with the 'yellow' temp sender (now green / black I believe) in terms of operating temp, but it's always just run with the ignition in my experience, but it should shut off after 5 mins or so when the engine isn't running.

Hmm.. the plot thickens! Be interested if other folks could see what behaviour they get with their aux pump.. I haven't tried other combinations such as starting the car, then stopping it, then putting the ignition on to see what happens with the pump, nor have I hung around long enough after stopping the car to hear if it remains running as normally when I've put the car away I let the fan run as long as it needs, then pull the battery.

i was always under the assumption that it only came on once the engine is off with cooling system at a certain temp , same as the fan...?? because AFAIK its only job is to keep the water circulating to avoid hot spots around the head so it all cools down evenly.

Disconnecting the battery will mean the ecu will have to relearn sensor perameters, the pump running could just be part of a safe start up sequence after the battery ahs been disconnected?

Hi Jim,

I tried mine today. I got aux pump each time I turned on ignition. When hot my fans and pump stay on for one cycle but when the fans go off the whole lot shuts down.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hmmmm.... time to look into some fault finding in the system then! Thanks guys.

Wonder why it would run sometimes, but not always on mine then. Must be a bad relay or something?

Just as a follow up for this, it seems to be nothing more sinister than the pump itself is just goosed.

I spent a bit of time today following some steps I was advised to try over email (checking fuses, etc - they were all fine) - one of the steps was to bridge pins 1&3 of the yellow sensor connector which is supposed to bring on the fans and the aux water pump. I tried once to verify the step works, and then disconnected the fans so I could actually hear the aux water pump (and also avoid slicing my fingers!) but sure enough the auxiliary pump did nothing.

However I began to wonder if it was just a bit stuck so gave it a tap with a spanner and you could hear it begrudgingly whirring into life. Tapping it more made it occasionally stop and start. Sometimes it would run for a while and then stop. Either way, it's had it.

I suppose the only mystery is why it seems to work LOUDLY the first time I put the ignition on, and then pretty much never again without being clouted.. but bottom line is I need a new aux water pump as this one is clearly in it's death throes and there's nothing more complicated it seems with sensors or whatever needing replacing, or bad wiring.

Try stripping it down and cleaning it first. They get gunked up with junk floating around in the cooling system. All you do is undo the 3 screws holding the 2 halves together, dead easy.

Ah good tip - thanks mate. I may do it out of curiosity just to see what state it's in, but have actually ordered a new one now - Bosch one from German eBay for about £40 delivered.