Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

VR6 ECU dead!

Anyone know where I could get a replacement ECU, part no: 021 906 258 AG for a '93 VR6 (which happens to be a '94 engine). After trying getting the old one repaired, then exchanged for a reconditioned unit, none have worked and now the supplier has said they can't do anything but refund my money. :( It's the usual, well it is a rare car and we don't keep much for them etc.

Not even sure whether a second hand unit is worth the risk, just want to put off asking the stealers until I know there is no other option.

Waited two weeks to find this out. :mad: Not much on a car that hasn't run for over 6 months now though I suppose.

Try AmD too as they hold a few ECUs from older VWs/Audis etc. Make sure definitely get the AG and not the CP. CP is immobilised. AG non immobilised.

Try also Stealth as I know he keeps MAFs and brains lying around to help with engine diagnostics etc.

If not, scrappies and Ebay unfortunately.

Do not go to the stealers. German Ebay usually has them. I've got a highline one which will be available in 2-3 weeks. The sticker on mine doesn't mention CP or AG?

Thanks for the advice as always people. Tried Ebay, Stealth and AmD, all haven't got one. VW want £550.00, how much do you think I can sell a L plate '93 for without a brain? Would be abit difficult to test drive but looks good and won't rattle. :roll: The search continues...

Bargain! I'm surprised it's only £550 from VW.

Peugeot wanted £650+VAT for a new 206 ECU (only the 1.4 engine too!).

Which ECU reconditioning companies have you tried? I've spoken to a couple, can't find the numbers right now...

You wouldn't say that if you saw what's inside the ECU Matt! Or should I say, how *little* there is in the ECU!

What's up with the current one RPMayne? There's not a great deal in there to go wrong tbh. Have you checked it for dry joints etc?

K

Highline is OBD2 and won't work on the OBD1 ABV engine without a bit of work.

Kev, Do you know whats involved?

Unfortunately no. All I know is the OBD2 has a different throttle body and MAF and a couple of other things. It also monitors more systems, including interior ones, like airbags, the stereo, Central locking etc etc

I'm sure most of the surplus connections can be made redundant or bypassed but I wouldn't know where to begin to be honest. And also, the 2.8 chip might not give enough fuel at wide open throttle for the ABV, but I could be wrong.

Thats going to make my engine swap interesting. I am going to have to take the loom off of the 2.9 engine and install onto the 2.8. So from the above I need the throttle body, what other bits?

You'll probably have to lie them all out side by side and see what's different.

Best bet is to take an engine+loom+ecu as a single unit if you're doing this stuff, IMHO. (Not that I'm an expert...)

You'll probably have to lie them all out side by side and see what's different.

Best bet is to take an engine+loom+ecu as a single unit if you're doing this stuff, IMHO. (Not that I'm an expert...)

As a total novice, thts the approach I'm going to have to take. Thanks for the advice.

Apparently the later VR6's also use an air flow sensor different to the earlier hot wire type, so immobiliser units can't be decoded and used on earlier cars. Grid or something?

Tried ATP Electronics with no joy. The original one had an unrepairable fault, doing all kinds of things resulting in blowing that little black box for buffering the air up. Got a reconditioned from stock, that intermittently cut signals to the coil pack. Sent that back, they said a fault was found although when I refitted it the same started happened. Now have nothing, but they are going to give me an ECU for exchange purposes only.

Cheers Storm, thought that site had closed. Got a response, theres one going with the same number as mine except its AF not AG. Any ideas whether that would work or not?

Do a deal with the guy, pay him via pay pal, get him to ship it down, if it dont work, send it back! The most you will lose is the carriage. If it ran the VR he's breaking, then it should run yours. I cant find a reference to an AF code for a VR. The only AF reference I can find is:

"037 906 024 AF" Which is for the 2.0litre.

How much does he want?

Trying to find out the price, waiting for a response from an email. Its dated 3/93 which is the same as mine so its probably worth a go as you say.

He's been advertising a while, so should be okay with sale or return. If this one doesn't work then you know theirs something else to blame.

Thanks Storm. Ended up getting one through VW in the end though, the car is in their garage being diagnosed at the moment. The AF type ECU I got through the CC website turned out being for a 2.8 VR6 '92. VW coudln't talk to it, and didn't even prime the fuel pump on start up so I've just thought sod it and payed the money. At least this way if something else is causing them to fail I shouldn't end up with a bill for multiple ECU's. Fingers crossed anyway, might know more by the end of the day.