ger040

g60 valve query

I have stripped my g60 cylinder head and was going to replace valve stem oil seals.

upon removing the head id remove the valves and found the inlets perfect but the exhaust

valves badly burnt and clogged with ash (car has covered 108k)

I decided the replace the exhaust valves and ordered replacements (german) and upon installing

them the valve seats are much narrower about 1.5mm compared to about 3mm of the original and the

valves sit completely flush with the cylinder head where as the existing valves including the inlet

are slightly raised (piston side)

has anyone came across this before and would it affect the performance / running of the car?

thanks

Hmmm - doesn't sound right, should be perfectly flush as far as i'm aware - it's interference.

Not sure if you're aware but the G60 valves are also Sodium filled to deal with the heat

Hmmm - doesn't sound right, should be perfectly flush as far as i'm aware - it's interference.

Not sure if you're aware but the G60 valves are also Sodium filled to deal with the heat

I think that's the exhaust ones only on the G60 that are sodium filled, hence this issue with valve seat diameter etc.

Sounds like you may have been supplied with generic 8v cylinder head exhaust valves and not the G60 specific items - get in touch with the supplier or if you know the manufacturer of the valve and have a part number check with them.

just an update on this - contacted the supplier it appears the new valves are triple angle seat?? ( if I am correct iam new to this )

and the head will have to have seats redone by a machine shop

not to keen on this and have decided to order new genuine valves from classic parts.

or can the existing valves be cleaned and reused?

I cleaned my valves up on my G60 with a bench wire wheel. Aslong as there is no pitting on the seat surface and you'll need to spend a bit of time lapping them back in ( as you will with new valves too). The exhaust valves are always in worse shape than the inlets. It's a good idea to measure the valve stems and the guides for wear as if it's excessive the stem seals will wear out again quickly.

I cleaned my valves up on my G60 with a bench wire wheel. Aslong as there is no pitting on the seat surface and you'll need to spend a bit of time lapping them back in ( as you will with new valves too). The exhaust valves are always in worse shape than the inlets. It's a good idea to measure the valve stems and the guides for wear as if it's excessive the stem seals will wear out again quickly.

thanks for the reply done a quick for guide wear with a wobble test and the movement was negleable

will try and clean the existing valves