Goldie

Flash Red VR6

Im going to start a thread on this car to keep a track of the progress on the jobs I'm doing. The car is for sale but i can't update the advert so this seem the best way.

I bought the car along with an 8v and mountain of parts last year.

Anyway, the car its a 1994 VR6 with 62k on the clock. It has factory Recaro Leather and Headlight washers. It has also been fitted at the dealers with Diavia Aircon and a Zender bodykit.

It has been dry stored most of its life hence the low mileage. In the last few years the suspension has been refurbished so rear beam powder coated with new bushes and bearings. Upfront the subframe and wishbones have has the same treatment.

Ill post some mored details later on but here are a couple of pictures of it as it stands.

IMG_1742_zpswftggu2v.jpg

IMG_1743_zpsmdpyq2nu.jpg

Edited by Goldie

List of jobs that need doing:

Oil leak from oil filter housing.

Oil temperature does not read on MFA.

Bonnet foam rotten.

Door card top trims cracked.

Mirrors do not move on the switch.

Heater direction control temperamental.

Ignition switch intermittent.

I made a start on these over the weekend.

The low pressure oil switch was passing oil up through the spade. This has been replaced with a new one.

Oil temperature switch changed for a new one.

Bonnet foam removed and one from the group buy fitted.

Bonnet foam originally.

IMG_1756_zpsfmkx9qx4.jpg

Half way through the job.

IMG_1805_zpsay7weqii.jpg

And finished.

IMG_1815_zpsmnoa2han.jpg

If the weather holds ill try and do a bit more on the car today..

Looks tidy. Hummm ignition switch i had fun with one of those yesterday... I've got one or two bent screwdrivers now. I want your recaros :)

Ive heard a lot of stories about changing the ignition switch, not looking forward to it but I'm sure ill get there..

The passenger seat wiring needs sorting out but overall these are the best OE Recaros I've seen. Zero bolster wear or marks on the leather. They may end up coming out the car..

Ive heard a lot of stories about changing the ignition switch, not looking forward to it but I'm sure ill get there..

The passenger seat wiring needs sorting out but overall these are the best OE Recaros I've seen. Zero bolster wear or marks on the leather. They may end up coming out the car..

That's why I'm interested in the Recaros they must be similar condition to my interior.

Ignition switch not too bad, theirs a bit in wiki on it. I left the seat in, lowered the steering wheel and removed the steering wheel plastic. The problem is getting at the screw. The screwdriver needs to go round a corner. So you need to bend a screwdriver. Just needs a bit of patience. I bought a genuine switch from the dealer for £35. But I intend to keep the car and do the job once... Guess if your selling you could save a few quid.

Flash red suits the car.

Edited by delfinis38

Looks great mate, nice job on the bonnet foam, the ignition switch isn't too bad, fairly sure I ended up getting to the screw from above after trying from below, getting it back in was the worst bit.

Let's see some pics of these seats then 8)

Looks great mate, nice job on the bonnet foam, the ignition switch isn't too bad, fairly sure I ended up getting to the screw from above after trying from below, getting it back in was the worst bit.

Let's see some pics of these seats then 8)

Yup from above, perched on the seat. Non of this upside down rubbish as mentioned in the wiki.

I ended up doing the ignition switch from underneath having taken the front seat out - not sure if it's a bit more involved removing recaro's though than the standard seats! As others have said, a long thin screwdriver with an appropriate little bend in it and it was not too bad a job then. I cable tied in the replacement though I have to say - there was no way that little screw was going back without a fight!

Seeing as there is a lot of mention of ignition switches, I'll give my 2 pence too!

I've done two of them. One on my old valver which I had an utter nightmare with, and cable tied in as others have done. The switch I replaced on the current car was actually really easy. Didn't need to bend a screwdriver or anything like that, it went in an absolute doddle. Didn't cure the intermittent (non)cranking issue I still have (probably starter motor), but the key turn feels much more solid now so it was obviously well past its best. Both times I did it from below with seat removed.

Shame I can't see the photos, but I'll have a look when I'm back in the UK for a couple of weeks, in 6 weeks time. :thumbright:

Looks a very nice car Goldie . I love the colour and the seats are very nice . Low mileage too . RE the ignition switch , Im ashamed to say I gave up . And had to hammer the screw out and cable tie the new one in . A friend did his on a T4 with no problems , could we do mine ? Er no , I did the same on my T4 as well .

Update...

12 Months MOT today, no advisories. Tester commented on how well overhauled the car was and the emissions are super low...Its covered a huge 150 miles this year..

It has gone to a very good home. Forum member yes but not a well known one. Ill leave it up to the new owner whether they wish to spill the beans...

It has gone to a very good home. Forum member yes but not a well known one. Ill leave it up to the new owner whether they wish to spill the beans...

cool, good news m8

lets hope we see it here soon maybe