KIRAN VRT

12v vr6 forged turbo engine in a golf v6 4motion - need advise

Hi guys

This is a bit random but I need good technical advice here

I have my corrado vr6 turbo but I have recently bought a v6 4motion.

I've come to the conclusion that if you want a super fast corrado then it will never look the way you want it

my dreams of a low rado with a vr turbo lump on wide wheels went out the window because you always have to compromise the looks for power and handling and braking

Anyway my question is this

I want to backwards engineer the 4motion to run my forged 12v turbo lump or I could sell up and turbo the 24v engine

To put a 12v in I think all I need to do is

- change the pedal boxes over (ill have to check brake servo as I don't know if rado pedal box will mate to 4motion servo)

- will need a flywheel and clutch setup

- modify the exhaust

- change my wiring over so my emerald and custom loom will need minimal splicing into fuse box

- standalone haldex controller

- most of the stuff from my rado will work with some exceptions here or there and will have to buy new suspension

It's my hope to run 4wd with a 12v and end up with 650 bhp and loads of torque to suit lol

The alternative is to break my rado and sell up and use the money to turbo the 4motion

Or one possibility is use the crank and forged rods from my 12v engine and used them to build the 24v lump but would have to buy different pistons from my understanding

one other possibility is to turbo the 24v lump and just space plate it. But how reliable this will be I don't know lol everyone else seems to do it and had no issues so should be ok

I didn't want to write loads for this initial post but I have gone through every vw forum and can't find anyone who's done this

Guys your thoughts please

(And I know it won't be in a corrado but I've decided I will buy another rado but modify it mainly for looks rather than speed - maybe just chuck a bam lump in it for fun but that's later not now)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and comments welcome

Cheers

Kiran

[/hr]

16vjetta is selling his 2.8 4wd converted corrado. Might be a quicker and easier option? Its the ex coxylaaaad one. Very well thought out car.

Coxylaads is a 3.2 so a good option, basically a full mk4 anyway (dash, loom etc etc).

As an option you could try get hold of a 3.2 block (similar to the one sat in my garage), use the 2.8 crank, which will bring the compression down and turbo that. Dunno if you've heard of it but guy over on edition called Stanton built a 'zombie' mk4 r32t with I believe a mk4 r32 bottom end and 2.8 head.

You could still use the mk4 pedal box if you wanted to go dbw, kev aka haywire ran dbw on his vrt.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies so far

I wish I could buy a 4wd shell but seeing as I have a 4motion already just seems pointless on top of that the money I would have to spend on one I might as well buy a golf r32 lol it would be cheaper and more reliable

plus not that I doubt anyone's build

but 4wd rado conversion can be fantastic but the few 4wd mk2 golf's and corrados I know of between my mates

none of them have had a completely perfect alignment and I couldnt deal with the headache if it wasn't perfect

SwiftKid I do like the zombie engine idea so I will look into it more

quick question

I know the crank and rods from a vr6 will fit a 24v block but what about the pistons? (Worser forged pistons btw)

If they fit too

I could just transfer the guts of my vr lump into the 24v lump and turbo the 24v engine

what do u guys think?

Physical size I doubt it, I'm sure it's been asked before so there will be an answer somewhere but valve cutouts definitely not for obvious reasons.

If I were you, id stick with 24v in mk4, although you had the fully forged engine so would be easier, I reckon it would be cheaper and less hassle in the long run to uprate the 24v engine to forged stuff and keep full functionality of the Haldex system

I hear you SwiftKid

I could however use a standalone haldex controller

but I do get that using the existing 24v lump would be electronically easier and I could map standard ecu and retain cold start and have good idle and overall control as well as better haldex control

from the sounds of it I may have to brake my corrado as much as it hurts me to say it

it just kills me to know all the money spent on the rado won't mean anything lol

but at least I can reuse alot of parts like the turbo waste gate injectors field pump intercooler system big brakes, etc

just a shame I have to sell my forged engine :-(

Well I'll have a bit more of a think

I really appreciate the comments

I think we may see a massive vr6 turbo parts list up for sale in breaking sooner than we think lol

its a shame coz I really thought that a 12v vr6 turbo in a mk4 was unheard of and would be something different (backwards engineering aside lol)

Plus it would have sounded so much better than a 24v imo

Totally agree about the sound, I plan on going from 3.2 to vrt in my rado in the future just for the sound but in a mk4 with 4wd the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Have you priced up a standalone Haldex controller? They are more than forged pistons!!! Unless you want to go down the cheap route and fix it to a certain ratio.

If you love the rado why not sort handling, lsd diff, poly bush, anti roll bar or consider 4wd? Be a shame to break a rado, could always put it back to standard if you really really don't want to keep it?

If it's an early AUE engine 4Motion, you should be able to run the 12V from the MK4 management, thereby keeping all the Haldex / ABS & Steering angle communications intact. Pedal box won't have to change either as the DBW throttle can easily be mounted to an adapter plate. You'll probably need the 24V's cam trigger wheel on the 12V engine and with a little remapping, it should work I reckon.