Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Aerial removal with photo's (updated aerial fix)

I'm in the process of removing my aerial so whilst I'm at it I took some piccys of the rear trim clips and the underside of the roof where the aerial mounts.

The rear trim just pulls off but take care not to be too brutal, there are 5 sets of clips on the trim. I managed to ease it off without busting anything.

There are two tabs on the headlining that need to be eased out of the slots in the body that they sit in. Again take care as these feel well delicate.

You can now pull the headlining down about 4 or 5 inches, enough to reach in with a 22mm spanner to release the nut holding the aerial in place.

It's still in bits so I can't say how easy it went back together but I imagine it to be easier.

Hope this is helpfull.

Cheers

Dave

This will be useful to someone I'm sure, so thanks for the thread 8)

I would just add that you shouldn't pull the headlining down too far or it can cause it to crease...

Good stuff daves16v, i think these picture guides are really useful.

I've noticed that the small plastic trim that goes around the bottom of my aerial base is flaking away. Is this replaceable?

kangarooboy, nope, it's not available seperately... :roll: Time for a new aerial... :(

kangarooboy, nope, it's not available seperately... :roll: Time for a new aerial... :(

Typical! That's so unfair! :p

I think I'll live with the flaking trim for the time being then... at least until it starts leaking water into the car or something :roll:

you'll probably find that the radio reception goes completely before it leaks as the water gets into the base and kills the electronic booster in there... :roll: I've did mine while doing the moonroof conversion for the same flakey reason... :?

That's precisely the reason for my post. GSF do a replacement for my aerial but the pusf-fit connection is different so it means completely changing the cable right down to the head unit.

So...........I've removed the rubber seal and relaced with flexible edge protector (we have miles of it here at work) and glued it in place. This actually provides a seal against the body work and looks good too. It may not work but it's worth a try.

I'll post some pics when done.

Looks good, Dave. What exactly is the rubber edging from? Anything similar I may find in a DIY store? I wouldn't mind fixing my own aerial like that.

It's edge protector, the sort used on sheetmetal edges. We have it at work and turned out to be just the right size. Not having bought it before I can't say for sure if it's available at DIY stores. I would think you can pick it up at somewhere like B&Q. I think Halfords sell it too.

The only thing is it needs to be about 5mm deep and very flexible to go round the aerial base. The thickness of the rubber also needs to be about the same thickness (about 1mm) as the old rubber boot, the bit that presses against the roof. If not, the roof beneath the aerial base may deform slightly when you tighten the nut although you probably wouldn't see it.

Sorry to go on a bit but I think these things are important. I only did it because we had just the right stuff at work. If you are local to me I'd cut a length off for you. I suppose I could post it.

Dave

The aerial is £54+VAT from VW by the way! My dealer wasn't happy about that and did me 20% off. I only needed the aerial for the same reason, cracked seal :roll: