mic_VR

Land Boundary Issues

Anyone on here have a knowledge of land boundary issues?

Having moved recently I want to place a fence at the rear of my boundary but there's never been a fence there before. I need to know whether I need permission, or how I define where I can put the fence given that the land registry plans have virtually no detail to them!

Don't want to end up giving away a strip of land, or giving someone cause to open up a boundary dispute (not that I think they would as the old concrete boundary markers are still in place for the full length. Currently I get on well with my new neighbours but I know how funny people can be about stuff like this.

Any help appreciated.

I'd probably approach your neighbours first, gently ask some questions around the subject of where the plots end etc, just to sound them out, even if you had clear land registry maps they might not like what you tell them!

Did you not get any copy of your deeds that shows the boundaries of your property?

Yeah, got all my titles/plans etc but due to the 'general boundary' rule in the UK they aren't detailed enough to determine with accuracy purely from the drawing. I suspect it would be a surveyor job.

Currently I'm thinking I'll butt my new fence up to the concrete posts as at the worst I'm giving away a thin strip of land, and at best I'm only meeting up with an existing boundary. I don't think the neighbours will complain as the hedge is in a bit of a state so a nice fence may be welcomed. Overall I'll gain garden space either way as the hedge is about 2.5-3ft thick!

I've got to do something as at the moment I'm worried my back garden isn't secure to have a 3 year old running about, he'd easily be able to get into the other gardens if so inclined.

Have a chat and ask them to go halves on cost and you'll do the work, that way you decide the position together?

I'd go with the chat route, make sure your both happy, nothing worse than paying for a fence to get put up and starting an argument.

As long as it's not adjacent to a highway (public footpath, road or any means of access the public has a right to pass over), you havnt had permitted development rights removed and it's not over 2m you won't need planning permission. For your own peace of mind just submit a pre planning application (should be free and don't need to submit architects plans) and they will tell you in writing.