g0ldf1ng3r

Help - how to remove centre console cassette storage

Hi everyone

i need to change the matrix in my early valver soon, hoping for a warm weekend at some point lol

i have a good guide but my valver has the optional cassette tape storage thing in the centre console - same place the VDO gauges fit

does anyone know how these are removed without damaging it?

i have very rarely, if ever, seen another rado with one fitted

thanks in advance :)

I have one fitted in my VR. They just slide in . Maybe remove one of the cassette holders or at least open one . Wrap a clean cloth round a pair of pliers and get hold of the outer case and pull back gently .

Rob.

Edited by robrado974

There could be a spring on either side of it as well - try sliding something very thin, like a putty knife in on each side, and then pull gently - at least that was how it was done on the one in my old MkII Golf.

Edited by fendervg

I don't think there is a spring in these holders . The Mk2 cassette holders are different .

Edit I've just looked at an old ebay sale for one of these . There looks to be two spring clips on either side . Also two screw holes in the back . Mine is not screwed in . I think the spring clips just grip the sides .

excellent. thanks rob & fendervg :)

i thought they might attach from the rear side but must admit i hadn't given it a little pull first lol

much appreciated

oh & nice to know someone else has one of them - i wonder if anyone who likes to keep their rado 'as factory' would have any interest in them?

I don't think there is a spring in these holders . The Mk2 cassette holders are different .

Edit I've just looked at an old ebay sale for one of these . There looks to be two spring clips on either side . Also two screw holes in the back . Mine is not screwed in . I think the spring clips just grip the sides .

ha ha id just typed my last reply lol

ok thanks rob i will proceed with caution

i wonder if any of the cassette trays remove to give fitting access

I had one of these in my original 16 valve. It was 12 years ago, but I vaguely remember pulling the little drawers out gently. They come out completely with a bit of a wiggle. Then I think there was a screw at the back holding it in. You'll need a torch and a long star head screwdriver to get at it.

I had one of these in my original 16 valve. It was 12 years ago, but I vaguely remember pulling the little drawers out gently. They come out completely with a bit of a wiggle. Then I think there was a screw at the back holding it in. You'll need a torch and a long star head screwdriver to get at it.

good info thanks Mike

ive just popped outside of work for a quick look & i think it must be secured somewhere as you say because it didn't want to move, i was however very gentle as i don't want to break a tape slot

i will try the wiggle & torch on my next attempt

ha ha id just typed my last reply lol

ok thanks rob i will proceed with caution

i wonder if any of the cassette trays remove to give fitting access

They do come up on ebay , every now and again . Nice little oem feature .

They do come up on ebay , every now and again . Nice little oem feature .

yeah i had a quick look after reading your previous post rob

a couple on there around £50

Interesting . I have just pulled mine out . Yes there are two slide clips . I've never noticed before but I have two screws in the consol behind it . These don't appear to match up with the back of the cassette holder . No idea at all what these were for .

Interesting . I have just pulled mine out . Yes there are two slide clips . I've never noticed before but I have two screws in the consol behind it . These don't appear to match up with the back of the cassette holder . No idea at all what these were for .

thanks rob

im in the VR today so will take a look at the valver over the weekend.

appreciate you removing yours & letting me know about the side clips