Dervice

VR6 Dashpot replacement part

Hi guys,

Ive had an issue with constant stalling at junctions/roundabouts and seems whenever i dip the clutch, the revs drop and the car dies. I have found the problem to be the dashpot being very slack and offering no resistance when throttle is off and the TB is slamming shut. I have temporarily solved the problem by winding it right up and it is now doing its job but of course isn't optimal.

Question is after trawling the forum and various places online is where would i get a new replacement? Can anyone point me towards somewhere that would have them?

Thanks in advance

Be prepared for a "HOW MUCH???!!!"moment. Stalling at junctions is avery common problem and there are lots of threads on here dealing with the causes. It may well be that the dashpot is not the only one.

Best wishes

RB

Have you tried VW and VW Classic Parts? Always worth a try first.

I tried VW heritage and they didnt have any. Strangely 2 guys at VW didnt have a clue what i meant even with searching! Thats why i have asked for the part number but will try classic parts, thanks

Be prepared for a "HOW MUCH???!!!"moment. Stalling at junctions is avery common problem and there are lots of threads on here dealing with the causes. It may well be that the dashpot is not the only one.

Best wishes

RB

Already done this a few times with various things, fast learning the nature of this beast! seems to have solved the issue though for now, I did change the inlet hose as it had split quite badly but the problem was still there, fingers crossed this was the problem.

Whoa not kidding, just spoken to VW and quoted the part number Ian gave £72.18 inc VAT so cheaper. Will be in tomorrow morning so have ordered from them.

Did they definitely say they could get one? Only I've just checked (because I've never heard of a 'dashpot' before!) and they're showing as obsolete since march last year!

Did they definitely say they could get one? Only I've just checked (because I've never heard of a 'dashpot' before!) and they're showing as obsolete since march last year!

Well, update on this...just had a voicemail from them saying that the system hadn't been updated and that unfortunately they cannot get it in as they are now obsolete!! Nice chap saying if i needed any help at all to get touch so will give him a call back in the morning see if maybe he has an idea of where to get one although i doubt it. Back to square 1 again :bonk:

If its any help, I had to replace mine over a year ago. I used a second hand one from a Passat. Some of the Passat B3/B4 models used a throttle body using the same dashpot. I cant remember which models, but partsbase.org will show the other vw's that share the same part number for the dashpot.

Used in T4 transporters with engine code AAC, Polo's with engine code 3F / NZ, Vento's with engine code AAA (2.8 vr6)and 2E (2.0), Golfs AAA VR6, and 1.6 AEK, Passat AEK and AAA.

Hopefully that should help a little bit!