easypops

Storm cream leather and gliptone dye

Good day all, I recently purchased a green Storm with the cream leather interior. Thing is, it's not all that cream, almost a greeny tinge. I bought the small scuffmaster kit from gliptone to see if the colour was a match, or lighter as I was hoping. The match is perfect for the colour it is now, so they've obviously matched it before.

My reason for the post, does anyone know of a lighter shade of cream I can order to re dye the leather. I don't want to order 1L of the stuff blind

Couple of pictures including an old trainer in the colour I'd like :)

B4F177A1-2FD2-4249-9E0D-B5C02EF9D5AC.jpg

Lighter bit hidden

78FC9605-F8B3-46E1-B66C-8DB41A425D8E.jpg

Trainer for comparison

AAE596C8-D937-4BAD-BF58-CDCECD78F680.jpg

I can't see the pic but if you find an offcut of the colour you'd like (or just the trainer), send them up to furniture clinic to match. I did my beige interior, and sent them my headrest to match. I got the kit and my headrest back less than a week after I sent it, and the match was absolutely perfect! :thumbright:

Interested in the right product too - really need to do my front seats properly.

I`ll check out what my bottle says from furniture clinic...

DSCF3810.jpg

DSCF3787.jpg

That would be great if you could, how much did you get in the bottle? I'm looking to do all the leather inc the doorcards.......they look great 8)

easypops - glyptone sell a 'toner' product which is designed to be used with their scuffmaster dye so as to get a better colour match if required

ive copied this off their site for you....

"By adding tiny amounts of a toner, you can tint the main colour to allow for this fading/discolouring."

taken from http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm

I hope that helps

EDIT: or alternatively I was told by the glyptone technician, when I visited them in person, that a 250ml bottle of scuffmaster dye would be enough to refurb all of the front facing parts of both front seats - thus you could not worry about the fade & restore them back to original colour

Plus, from the experience of recently refurbing a steering wheel as a practice, I followed the instructions & put the first coat of dye on neat & then for the 2nd & 3rd coats I diluted the dye with a little water (I think the ratio is shown on the bottle) which really did enable me to apply it very sparingly with excellent coverage

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Thank mate, I got the toner bottles with the small scuffmaster set I bought. Thing is, the colour out the jar is a perfect match. Problem is, in my eyes, it's just not creamy enough. What I want is a big bottle of something I can just open and go for it :)

My hope is, that someone has used a product for something else, jaguar, bmw etc and could post a picture that it's more like I'd want, does that make sense? :lol:

I'll wait to see what C5 OEM comes back with

Thank mate, I got the toner bottles with the small scuffmaster set I bought. Thing is, the colour out the jar is a perfect match. Problem is, in my eyes, it's just not creamy enough. What I want is a big bottle of something I can just open and go for it :)

My hope is, that someone has used a product for something else, jaguar, bmw etc and could post a picture that it's more like I'd want, does that make sense? :lol:

I'll wait to see what C5 OEM comes back with

ha ha ha yeah it kinda makes sense lol

I guess if you cant find a creamier product but still think the scuffmaster is a perfect colour match then a 250ml bottle of dye is very well priced & would allow you to do all of both front seats......IE open & go for it lol

EDIT: did you buy their kit form which only has a tiny bottle of dye?

FYI im going to try & make my 250ml bottle stretch to do the rears of both front seats as well as the front facing panels.

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

I bought the scuffmaster repair kit I think, the bottle is tiny lol, I'd be lucky to get the headrests done with it.

I've just looked at furniture clinic and I think I might go for one of their kits, just need to post them my old trainer :lol:

Wow looks great. I had a MK 4 Cabrio with that colour interior in and the carpets were pretty bad when I got it. I had no idea you could actually ever get them that clean again, nice work.

That gives me hope indeed, any more info on the dye? :)

On holidays at the moment will look at weekend mate

That looks amazing, I need to do that to mine! How easy is it to remove the carpet?

Fairly easy(must be if I managed), remove all seats, remove plastics behind accelerator pedal and opposite side plastic at passenger side, plastics that run along sills at the doors, remove front seatbelt bars, quite a few of the flat plastic screw things dotted about, all centre plastics and it'll come out easy enough. Took me about 40mins after the seats were out

just to revive this one, does anyone know the best colour match from gliptone, furniture clinic etc for cream leather?  Mine needs some repair as well as redyeing the cracked areas.

Thanks

Hasan 

15 hours ago, fla said:

just to revive this one, does anyone know the best colour match from gliptone, furniture clinic etc for cream leather?  Mine needs some repair as well as redyeing the cracked areas.

Thanks

Hasan 

when i got my kit from them i just told them the year & model of vehicle & they had a list to match it up IIRC

i had a guide of steps to follow when using their products but cant remember if they gave it me or i got it elsewhere

just give them a call m8 - they were based down the road from me so i just popped in to see them & they were very helpful

I eventually got round to doing this after a few years 🤣

I used the Scuffmaster , I’ll attach a picture of the actual dye. Be aware though that I did the whole interior, not sure a repair wouldn’t stand out a bit as it’s very likely not going to match 100% a well worn set.

I liked the results that much I’ve bought a 2nd bottle as I have another cream interior (Recaro’s) as I sold the standard one after I’d got it all dyed etc.  Plus, I’ve got a bottle of the grey (sent a sample in to match) so I could do the other interior at some point

F08E2C99-8A48-42A1-8793-D1318AA63694.jpeg

379872E0-BBD1-410B-8DDA-E851FB24847F.jpeg

276F1AA2-8CC2-475D-9C2C-2F938FC5BEBE.jpeg

966D7087-416A-4B8F-9C64-D97C40D6C917.jpeg

28E96698-E444-44BF-8946-DC142E9149A8.jpeg

B3D2A837-4209-407D-9923-AD45AF3F75EA.jpeg

B3196538-3528-4573-99CB-B9811A232A29.jpeg

19 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

when i got my kit from them i just told them the year & model of vehicle & they had a list to match it up IIRC

i had a guide of steps to follow when using their products but cant remember if they gave it me or i got it elsewhere

just give them a call m8 - they were based down the road from me so i just popped in to see them & they were very helpful

thank for that.  That was Furniture Clinic was it?  I'll definitely give them a call.

11 hours ago, easypops said:

I eventually got round to doing this after a few years 🤣

I used the Scuffmaster , I’ll attach a picture of the actual dye. Be aware though that I did the whole interior, not sure a repair wouldn’t stand out a bit as it’s very likely not going to match 100% a well worn set.

I liked the results that much I’ve bought a 2nd bottle as I have another cream interior (Recaro’s) as I sold the standard one after I’d got it all dyed etc.  Plus, I’ve got a bottle of the grey (sent a sample in to match) so I could do the other interior at some point

F08E2C99-8A48-42A1-8793-D1318AA63694.jpeg

379872E0-BBD1-410B-8DDA-E851FB24847F.jpeg

276F1AA2-8CC2-475D-9C2C-2F938FC5BEBE.jpeg

966D7087-416A-4B8F-9C64-D97C40D6C917.jpeg

28E96698-E444-44BF-8946-DC142E9149A8.jpeg

B3D2A837-4209-407D-9923-AD45AF3F75EA.jpeg

B3196538-3528-4573-99CB-B9811A232A29.jpeg

Now that is an impressive result!  Funnily enough, i have the same diagonal crease on the second strip on the base panel on my car too. How long did that take, roughly?

Hasan