Sign in to follow this  
VR6

Door membrane

Anyone suggest some good stuff to seal the inner door membrane to the door itself?

Used some shite supposedly water-proof stuff but it's shite tbh.

Do you actually need the whole door membrane on? On one of my other Golf's, all I did was hack a decent chunk out of the existing membrane and fixed it half in and half out of the hole at the bottom of the door. This routed all of the water into the bottom of the door and out of the drain holes. Worked a treat as well.

I've always been able to reuse the factory plastic membrane. Just make certain the goo that holds it down is warm and it lifts right up. Even on the few I've ripped while working in haste haven't had any water problems But then again we(east coast USA) might not get as much rain as you (GB)

VAG have ditched the lovely, prefab plastic screens in favour of a generic piece of grey foam, which you have to shape yourself and bond to the door using HD double-sided tape. I used this stuff on my MK2 golf to good effect and due to the thickness of the foam, it actually reduced road noise a bit.

Anway....I redid the membrane on my driver's door over the weekend and I just used some shed waterproofing plastic sheeting and some HD Duct tape. In the heavy rain we've had recently, not a drop in the car, so it works. Looks a mess but is irrelavant as it's behind the trim.

Kev

94 VR6

Just one thing I'm wondering about, with audioscape pods, would I need to leave a hole around the speaker on the sheet or is it fine without.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but my car didn't came with any plastic sheets :mad: so I have no idea if it will affect the sound or not.

alright for you VR boys talking about sound deadening!!

if i put any of that in my car it might not even move :lol:

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

it was only 4 years , bloody hell how quick do you want a reply ? :roll:

mark the thread "urgent" if you cant wait 4 years

Ah, can't find a place that sells it, you don't happen to have a link handy do you? :)

The audioscape website doesn;t have them anywhere.

i used sheet plastic the thick black stuff you can get from builder yards , then hot gule gun it to the door last years. the gule and the plasic about 10 pound for the gun tho , but you can use it on loads of stuff