delfinis38

Vr sump pan gasket

Where's the best place to purchase one from... I guess I'm after the late type think it's rubber as opposed to paper....

Any advice for fitting... Any gasket sealer needed or just clean mating surfaces.

Is there a sequence to tighten bolts and what torque.

Ta...

Use either sealant or a gasket not both. I hate using sealant as the mating surfaces need to be spotless and perfectly flat and I don't like the thought of loose or excess sealant blocking oil ways.

I hate the silicone instant gasket stuff that gets everywhere but I must admit to being a big fan of 'Wellseal'.

http://www.wellseal.co.uk/

I rebuilt my VR6 engine earlier this year and put a smear of this on every joint (except the head gasket) and there is not drip or dribble anywhere.

More importantly than any of this is of course is the fact that Wellseal smells ace.

Use the rubber gasket. Victor reinz is a good make. Am sure I've had Victor reinz stuff from the dealer.

Wouldn't use any sealant. Shouldn't need it. Can't remember the torque. Not much. Also two types of bolts. The later bolts are longer. I ended up buying a set of bolts as mine were mismatched.

I read somewhere about starting at the middle and working outwards.

It seemed to make sense to me so that's what I did.

I really can't imagine it being critical.

I think the main thing is not to over tighten the bolts. If you do then there's the chance of deforming the flange on the sump or stripping the threads at the clutch side (as they screw into alloy).

I used new bolts and squirted some brake cleaner into each bolt hole to make sure they were free of oil. Any lubrication in the threads will give a false reading on the torque wrench (it takes less torque to turn an oiled bolt obviously).

This all sounds daft and over the top for bolting up a sump but I really didn't want it leaking.